Summertime Sadness

"Tris? What are you doing back here?" I asked quietly, walking over to him and sitting down on the gravel. I heard him sniff a few times and in the shadowy summer darkness saw him wipe his eyes with his sleeve. 

"I just needed to be alone." His voice was still slurred, but also laced with sadness. "I'm sorry, Dais, for everything. It's all a bit too much, sometimes." I held his hand in mine and he rested his head on my shoulder. 

"Has... Has something happened?" I said tentatively. There was an awkward silence, and I didn't think he was going to tell me until he took a deep breath.

"Last year, we found out my Gran was ill - cancer. Then, last month, she got worse and eventually, she... passed away." He began to cry again and I comforted him as much as I could. 

"I know how you feel. When I was 8, the same happened to my mum." I was determined not to cry. "You never forget, Tris, but it does get easier with time." We stayed there talking for a while, then I remembered Aimee and the others. "Come on, we should probably get back to the others." I stood up and held out my hand for him. He took it and I pulled him up. As we walked back to the house, he stopped me. 

"I don't really feel like going back to the others. I might just go home." He said to me. I nodded, then realised there was no way in hell he could drive home in the state he was in. 

"I'll drive you back. I'll just go and tell Aimee and the others that we're going." I did as I said and told Aimee I would see her tomorrow, then drove to Tristan's house. I realised that I woud have to stay over, due to the fact that it was his car and Aimee's was back at Con's. I assumed she was staying there over night, so I wasn't going to get her to pick me up. We went inside quietly and I borrowed one of his t-shirts to sleep in. He went to sleep in his room and I slept in the spare room. 

The next morning, I was woken up by Tristan walking into the room. He looked absolutely shattered, so he sat down on the bed. 

"I'm so sorry for last night, Dais. Can we just start all over again?" I nodded in response and he hugged me. After a few moments of surprise, I hugged him back gently. "I want to take you out tonight - just as friends!" I got out of bed and smiled at him. 

"Okay, where?" He told me the name of a restaurant then I went to the bathroom to get ready. We spent the day relaxing and watching TV, then at about 6, we left for the restaurant. It looked pretty fancy from the outside, and I felt underdressed in the same dress as last night. 

"You look beautiful, Daisy." I blushed in the dim light and thanked him. We chatted for a while, getting to know each other more, when he pointed subtly at the door. "Look who's just walked in!" I glanced towards where he was pointing and saw Aimee and James being led to a table by a waitor. 

"No way! I thought she was with Con!" I said, surprised. They began to look around and we shielded our faces from them. We both laughed at our ridiculousness, then Tris got his phone out and took a photo of the two of them. "Tris! Isn't that an invasion of their privacy or something?" He shrugged and I saw him go on Twitter. 

"What's Aimee's Twitter name?" I told him then looked on his Twitter page. '@TheVampsTristan: Cheeky photo of @TheVampsJames and @AimeeGrey on their secret date ;)' After I read it, I though to myself 'If James doesn't kill him, Aimee will.'