Grant: pushing buttons

We were met in the driveway by our curious pack, which started pulling boxes out of the truck and hauling them into the house. Katie and Daria stacked them into a cardboard box Christmas tree. I grabbed the new books and placed them on the coffee table for now.

"I guess we should wait for the boys to come back," Katie said with a sad sigh. "Any idea when that will be?"

"Later this afternoon, maybe this evening?" Mel shrugged. "Ralph, what is this stuff?"

"I don't know; Grant bought it," Ralph told her.

All eyes turned to stare at me. I was pretty sure my eyes were still red. Werewolves smelled odd enough that being around them didn't make me as hungry as being around humans, but it was still taxing on my self-control.

"I don't know how everything got packaged," I remarked. "But nothing is so pressing that it can't wait for Aidan to get back."

"You heard the man. Keith, why don't you take Ralph down to the cow's lot and see if we can't get that water pump working. Casey, what were you working on?"

"Finding the drafts in the shop," she said. "Katie's been manning the foam."

Katie grinned. "It's fun."

"Then Grant, why don't you and Daria have your training in the shop? Once you're done, come up and help with lunch."

"I don't think..." I gestured to my eyes vaguely. "Can we talk?"

Mel seemed to consider me for a moment. "All right. Daria, you go with Casey for now, Grant will be there soon."

The pack dispersed, most peering at the boxes as if they could tell what was in them through the cardboard. I put my hands in my pockets and waited for them to leave.

"You look rough," Mel noted.

"Not killing humans is difficult," I admitted. "But no one died. I still think it was a bad idea. And I'm sorry, I wouldn't normally ask, but Aidan's not here and I think I'd have to hunt down a bear to stave off how I'm feeling right now."

Mel rolled up her sleeve. My fangs hadn't receded and I crossed the room so quickly Mel took a step backward. Still, I managed to count to ten and release her arm, wiping the blood from my lips. She ruffled my hair.

"I'm glad you didn't kill anybody."

"I bought some medical supplies to draw blood instead," I told her. "I thought it might be easier. Definitely safer."

"We'll look forward to opening the myriad of boxes once Aidan gets back," she said. "Go on now."

I headed outside, realizing that Mel had given me another order. I think she forgot that when she ordered me, I didn't get the opportunity to disobey. Still, it put me in a sour mood by the time I reached the barn.

"You look better," Daria noted, already widening her stance and prepping for me to take a couple swings. "Aidan will be sorry he didn't get to go with you."

"No," I grunted and caught Daria with my right hook. "Come on, you have to anticipate more."

Daria leaped back from my next attempt to land a hit. "Why wouldn't have Aidan wanted to come?"

"Oh, he would have," I replied, adjusting her stance once more. "But...this girl...I don't really want to get into it."

"A girl?"

Daria dodged my next punch and attempted one of her own. I grabbed her arm and put her on the ground.

"She called Aidan being gay a waste," I said while Daria caught her breath. "And I almost killed her for it. I should not be going into town."