Chapter 1: wardrobe upgrade

"This is uncomfortable," I complained, tugging at the collar.

The man fitting me looked up with concern, but then continued his work when Stefa said:

"You're being a drama queen. I'm all for you wearing flannel shirts around the estate, but not when we have nice places to go to and important people to see. You look dashing in that suit."

"I feel stupid," I retorted.

Stefa just smiled and leaned back in her chair to read her magazine. I looked down at my shiny black shoes and pinstripe trousers wondering why humans had such impractical fashions. These clothes were meant to be worn for a single occasion and then carefully hung in the back of the closet. That seemed absurd.

"Can we stop by the butcher when we're done?" I inquired. "We're out of bacon."

"How are we out of bacon?" Stefa scoffed.

"I think the others are cooking it up for the smell?" I offered. "I don't know. I only eat one or two slices in the morning."

"We can stop by the butcher if we run into the salon and get me more conditioner."

Stefa turned the page of her magazine. Every now and then I would have moments that I couldn't believe that this was how I lived now. I didn't miss the farm or even Montana as much as I had expected. While I did miss Grant and my other pack members, I hadn't found the courage to call them yet.

"Fine," I said. "But you have to tell me exactly what you need; otherwise you'll buy one of everything and we'll be there forever."

"I'll do one better," she laughed. "I'll call ahead and we can just pay for it at the counter. Deal?"

"Deal," I replied.

The man was finally finished putting pins in my last suit and I was able to change back into my more comfortable jeans and sweater. Stefa sighed in a big showy way, as if reminding me that she preferred when I would look 'less like a country bumpkin and more like a gentleman'. It was no good reminding her than I was a wolf first.

The nice thing about the winter was that the sun went down early and we could go into the city as soon as dusk hit. I was getting used to sleeping during the day and being active all night. I missed the daylight some, but during winter there wasn't much to be had anyway.

I let Stefa rest her hand in the crook of my arm and we headed out of the store. The city was loud compared to everywhere else I had lived before; I had no interest in using my wolf senses in such a place.

"What do you want to do tomorrow?" Stefa asked after she shot a text to Lin. "Since you were mostly good about this errand."

She patted my shoulder in a condescending way and I rolled my eyes.

"I don't need a suit," I grumbled. "I definitely didn't need ten suits."

"What happens when I want to go to the opera?" she questioned. "Or to the theatre? You would look like a vagabond."

"You don't even like the theatre," I pointed out, remembering a previous conversation where she had complained about being stuck within rows and rows of humans. It was a reason she didn't like airplanes either.

She smiled and rested her head on my shoulder. "I have a council meeting soon," she said. "I want you to come with me."

"A meeting with the other clans?" I asked skeptically. "Are you sure you want me there?"

"Yes," Stefa replied promptly. "We're not to bring any vampires, most bring a human or two. It's never been said I can't have a werewolf there. And I don't know how long this meeting will last; the last time I went was before I was captured."