Chapter 14: explosion

The room was clean and the closet empty when I woke up; several pieces of luggage were sitting out, already packed. I showered quickly, wondering what time it was. I pulled out my old jeans and plaid shirt of a forgotten drawer, glad to be in something that I felt more myself in.

When I came downstairs, Jenny was the only one in the kitchen, staring out the window.

"You two make it back all right?" I inquired.

Jenny jumped. Her red hair was disheveled and she was wearing the same clothes as the last time I had seen her.

"Yes," she managed. "I'm nervous though. The council is...frightening."

"We'll be safe," I assured her. "Surely they couldn't have beat us back to the farmhouse."

"Surely," Jenny whispered.

Since Stefa wasn't in the kitchen, I checked the living room with Jackson and Paul. She spied my outfit, wrinkling her nose.

"You said I could dress as I wanted to at the house," I pointed out.

"I know. I just always hope you're wearing a three piece suit," she replied with a long sigh. "You look so dashing in them."

"You never made me wear suits," Jackson pointed out.

"That's because you would look like a child playing dress-up in a suit," she retorted.

Paul sniggered, but at a glare from Jackson, fell quiet. I sat over the arm of Stefa's chair, massaging the tension I found in her shoulders. She leaned into my touch with a smile.

"So what's the plan?" I inquired.

"We're splitting up; less of a target that way," Stefa said. "Amber and Jenny got back a while ago; just after I sent all but Lin out to Des Moines and from there we'll regroup. I was originally joking about Canada, but that may be where we end up."

Jackson frowned and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"I don't recognize this number," he remarked. "Stefa, do you know anyone in Montana?"

Stefa and I stared at him in shock. I reached for the phone and answered it.

"How'd you get this number?" I asked.

"Oh thank god. We're been calling for days," Mel told me, sounded oddly relieved. "Some woman answered the phone said that you and Stefa were missing. She said I could reach you on this number."

A chill went down my spine and I hurried from the room, not wishing for Jackson to overhear the conversation.

"What did you tell her?" I asked.

"That I didn't know where you were. Of course, I was very worried, but I just..."

"Did you tell her what I was? Or who you are to me?" I pressed. "Please, this is very important."

"Not that you were a wolf," Mel promised. "I said that your pack was looking for you, but I didn't tell them where we were of course."

"But they could trace the call," I pointed out, my heart sinking. "And now they know I'm not human. This is not good."

"Conor, what are you messed up in? Do you need us to come get you?"

"No," I barked. "Mel, just.... I'll figure something out." I took a deep breath. "It's very complicated here right now, and I don't know if you just put the pack in danger. I'm sorry you were worried about me; you shouldn't be. I can take care of myself."