Chapter 16

~Kurai's POV~

Arata-san and Hideaki both pleaded for me to play them another song, and I had just started playing with Arata-san accompanying me on zitar when someone knocked at the door. Arata-san gestured for me to continue as he got up to see who it was, and I closed my eyes and let my spirit fly with the notes.

Arata-san had a quiet discussion with the person at the door, and after that they patiently waited outside the door.

"Kurai." Arata-san said, breaking my concentration. Thanks to that, my flute shrieked as I was startled. Everyone winced at the horrendous sound, and I swiftly dropped my hands to my side, still holding the flute.

I look to see what Arata-san wanted, and raised my eyebrows in a question.

"The ah, Raikage has requested to see you." He looks at me apologetically. "I'm afraid we'll have to finish this later. Now, please follow this gentleman here, he will show you the way to the Raikage's office."

"You're not coming with us?" I asked, puzzled.

Arata-san shook his head. "I'm afraid not. I have some things that I need to finish up here, and then I will join you both there."

I nodded, and Hideaki walked over to my side.

"I'm scared." He whimpered.

I took his hand in mine, and gently squeezed it. "Don't be. We'll get through this together. And if something happens, I will always protect you."

He nodded at me, reassured.

I looked at the ninja who was waiting for us and quietly said, "Lead the way."

He started to walk, leading us out of the building and towards a building that was high up in the air, defying gravity.

My eyes widen, and I heard Hideaki gasp in awe. We then went into the building and stood in front of the Raikage's desk.

The door behind the desk opened, and the 4th Raikage stepped into the room with his secretary, Mabui, and Arata-san.

Arata-san made his way over to the right side of the Raikage's chair while Mabui was on the Raikage's left. The Raikage sat down in his enormous chair and leaned on his desk staring at us.

Tension grew in the room, and Hideaki started to shift on his feet nervously. I lightly touched his arm, and he looked up. I could feel my eyes soften as I looked at his young face, and then shifted my gaze to look at the Raikage.

I could feel his level gaze as his eyes bored into me, and I lifted my chin at him defiantly as I returned his flat look.

In a monotone voice I asked, "What is it that you wanted to see us for my lord?"

Arata-san shook his head at me, trying to tell me not to bait the huge man. But I ignored him, and instead, I hardened my eyes as the silence grew once again.

I could tell that Hideaki was growing more and more uncomfortable as the time slowly ran past. In order to feel reassured, he grabbed my hand, hiding his face in my side. I silently squeezed his hand in reassurance, and raised my other one to rest on his head.

When I did, the people in the room tensed, until I set my hand down on Hideaki's head and gently began stroking his hair. My gaze turned frosty as I stared right at the Raikage, challenging him to make the first move.

Arata-san coughed in the silence, and like that, it was broken.

The Raikage sighed and set his hands down on his desk while gazing at me intently.