Chapter 28

(Warning: Some swearing in this chapter. Thanks!)

~Kurai's POV~

I was in the dark place again, floating on a black, slightly warm liquid. I could feel my energy draining away from me, leaving me listless, drifting on what I'll call the 'black sea'.

Then I bumped against something hard, and I groan when pain shoots up my foot from hitting the hard object.   

"I feel so tired..."  I murmur into the darkness. "I just want to... go to sleep..."

I feel my eyelids drift close when a lightning bolt slams into my chest. I cough in surprise as my heart leaps in my chest, sending pangs throughout my body. I sit up, shocked that I have the energy to do so.

I pause and wait, but nothing happens. So I look around in the inky darkness, and make out a few rectangular shapes in the darkness. My hands twitch underneath me, and I realize that I must still be in the dark water near land, judging by the indistinct shapes in front of me.

Then all of the energy seems to drain out of me, and I sway, nearly hitting the ground.

I am jerked again when a bolt of pain judders through my heart, traveling down into my chest cavity.

I gasp, and start hiccuping from the small sparks traveling through my system. I shudder, curling in on myself to try and stem the strange happenings within my body.

"Ah..." I moan. "What the hell is going on here?!"

I clench my teeth against the strange currents in my body and drag myself towards the strange shapes hidden in the swirling mist. When I approach them, I realize that they are oddly shaped structures of dark stone.

They guide me through a small channel of dark water, allowing me to utilize the little energy I have left to move forward. I drag myself through the water by my hands, allowing the small amount of water underneath me to buoy my body for me.

Eventually, my hands hit something soft and cool. I paw at it, and lift it close to my face. Small glints of blueish-white light are reflected on my face from the tiny particles in my hand.

"It must be sand..." I muse out loud. "That means that I found land..."

I smile in relief and sigh when another shock runs through my body. The current makes my hand shake, and the small amount of glittering sand falls from my hand into the water. I track its descent with a wondrous gaze, for the swirling light twinkles through the dark water before settling on the dark seabed beneath me.

I tilt my head, squinting at the light. I am disappointed to see the light fade from the particles, leaving me in darkness once more.

I sigh and let my head touch the water, blowing frustrated bubbles into the water with my breath. I close my eyes, feeling a dark, heavy weight settle in my chest.