Chapter 29

(Warning: there is some swearing in here!)

~Kurai's POV~

I feel a soft light bathing my face as I regain consciousness. I can feel a presence quietly sitting nearby me. I pinpoint the presence and turn my head while opening my eyes.

Immediately, I hiss in pain as the blinding light burns my eyes and I quickly squeeze them shut. The person near by me shifts in their seat, and I slowly crack open my eyes to see a woman's face inches from mine.

I jerk in surprise, and end up smashing my forehead against her's. We both reel back, clutching our heads in agony.

"Ah, what in the world did you do that for?!" The lady cries.

"Me?!" I snap back at her. "What the hell were you doing so close to my face?! Have you ever heard of personal space?!"

I can feel the lady coming closer again as I lay back against the pillows behind me. My eyes snap open again as I stop the lady from leaning closer to me with my hand against her face. I peel the top part of my lips back, displaying my sharp canines in a snarl.

"Don't you dare come near me. I'll rip your arms off if you do." I hiss.

The lady freezes in place and her eyes widen as she watches me. I can smell the sudden sourness of fear emanating from her, and I internally smirk. The lady must have seen something she didn't like on my face, for she backs away from me and bolts for the door. When the door slams behind her, I sigh and slump against the pillows.

'Finally, I'm alone. I hate it when people watch me when I'm sleeping. It's so creepy. Now I can relax.'

My eyes slowly slide shut and I drift off with dots of sunlight dancing on my eyelids.

~Meanwhile~

Hideaki is back with Kuma, and is being questioned about the fight with Zabuza.

"I already told you Kuma, that's what happened! Kurai protected me from getting hurt by Haku, and took his senbon to the heart! Why can't you just leave it?"

"Cause kid," Kuma rumbles. "Let me ask you something. Does Kurai always get wounded like this when you get into a fight? From what I'm hearing from you right now, you're telling me that it's a common occurrence."

Hideaki pauses. "Well... I can't remember a fight where she doesn't get hurt in, but isn't that a common in a fight? That someone gets hurt?"

"Yeah, it is." Kuma admits. "But from what I've seen, Kurai always gets hurt while trying to protect you from the enemies. That's never a good thing Hideaki, cause in most instances, that's what gets your teammates killed. It's often when they try to protect the others in their squad."

Hideaki stubbornly shakes his head. "Kurai won't die. She said that she'd always be here for me, and so far, she has! Nothing can take her away from me, Kuma! Not even you!"