Chapter 23

(A/N: Hi! there is some swearing in this chapter! Enjoy!)

~Dodai’s POV~

I watch as Yugito runs after Kurai. I try to get up to follow them, but the pain was too much. I fell over, hollering in pain.

I cradle my foot on the ground, hissing in pain. A shadow looms over me, and I look up to see one of our medical ninja standing in front of me.

“I was sent here to treat the injured.” She explains. “Please, let me see your foot.”

I lift it up, and she takes it with her gentle hands, examining it.

“Tell me if this hurts.” She says.

“Wha?” I say, and she prods my foot with her finger. I howl as waves of pain run down my leg. The medic calmly keeps a hold of my foot until the spasming dies down.

“What was that for?!” I rage.

“To see if it was a pulled muscle or if anything was broken.” She replies. “It seems like the boards crushed some bones in your foot. Now I know what needs to be set. Hold still.”

She places my foot on the ground, and starts running her green glowing hands over my foot. i wince as the bones begin to move, scraping against one another.

“Gah!” I gasp as a sharp twinge is sent up my spine.

“Good.” She says. “You’re doing well. We’re almost done here.”

With a final snap, the last of my bones click into place. The green glow fades from her hands, and she climbs to her feet, brushing off her skirt.

“There. You should be able to walk now-”

Then the radio on her medical pack crackles to life.

“Emi, come in. I repeat, Emi, come in.” She picks up her kit and unsnaps the mouth piece.

“Emi here. What’s going on, HQ?”

“You’re needed to help med squad two. Multiple wounded in the Gwong Square, some in critical condition. Rendezvous with team two in sector five. Over.”

“Understood. Over and out.”

I look at Emi, puzzled. “What was that all about?”

She shook her head. “I don’t know. But I need to get going. Be careful, okay?”

She smiles at me teasingly. “I don’t want to have to heal you a second time today.”

With that, she leaps off onto the roof tops, rapidly disappearing from my sight.

“A nice girl isn’t she, Dodai?”

I jump into the air, and fall on my side. Just as quickly, I leap to my feet and face the person, an irk mark on my face.

“What is wrong with you C? You scared me half to death sneaking up on me like that!”

C chuckles. “Anyway, there’s a bit of a skirmish happening in the Gwong Square. Yugito just reported a mob. Kurai’s the only thing holding them back right now, so we need to move. Now come on.”

My face drained of color. “Kurai? In trouble? God, this day isn’t getting any easier!”

I lunge, jumping onto the rooftops, with C right beside me. “So what happened? Kurai doesn’t usually get in the thick of things with the villagers… The mob is made up of villagers, right?”

“Yup.” C says. “Apparently the Jonin guarding her little brother were attacked by a kid, and they were taken down when the villagers started to gather. My guess is that the tensions lately with the Leaf made them a little bit hot headed. And when they saw the fight, they just got into it.”