Chapter 34: One Way Ticket

A bird’s-eye view would reveal Silverburg Penitentiary as a facility enclosed in a pentagon-shaped wall, guarded by watchtowers erected on each of its vertices. There’s enough lighting to eliminate most shadows were one might lurk in, and the patrol units have been doing an excellent job of sniffing out any stray prisoners who missed head counts for decades.

       So far, no one has escaped.

       Outside its walls, double-layered screens greeted anyone who’d visit before they got to the main gates, locked in a control room on either side, one designated to operate the primary gate and the other responsible for the secondary. The giant walls and the screen-bound passage way to the entrance were both crawled with barbed wires that made climbing over difficult. To clear them away, one had to use a strong wire cutter. In addition to these, surveillance was one field where the security staff could be proud of, for there hardly was a blind spot from the cameras installed.

       Dante and Cristoval got past all these.

                              10 hours before the escape

       “We’re going tonight.”

       “I was hoping you’d say that,” Cristoval was leaning towards the bars, “I’m sick of this place.”

       “What time is it?” Dante asked for his friend was the one with the watch.

       “Eleven in the morning,” the hands of his gorgeous Rolex watch told Cristoval as he looked at it.

       “I suggest you enjoy your last hours in here,” Dante got down from the top of the double decked bed, “for it’s a one way ticket. We’re not going to be back for long, unless you intend to?”

       “Of course not.”

       The plan was simple. Getting out required only a few steps to perform- get out of their cell, get past the main cell gate, get to the locker room, secure some uniforms, and lastly, walk out of Silverburg like a sir. The security committee would have then installed cameras for nothing and the wires would yet await the day when someone got stupid enough to get ensnared in the attempt.

       All these were possible through Ben.

                                 7 hours prior the escape

       Like all adventures, getting to the cave where the long-sought treasure was hidden for the brave to claim without climbing mountains and hugging nature-defying cliffs wasn’t at all fulfilling. Fate gave them their share of the pie by giving them a warm-up in the afternoon. Luckily, Dante and Cristoval were on garden duty on the same day when they needed something from the tool shed.

       “First things first,” reminded Dante, “We’ll need something to force the lockers open.”

       “Doesn’t seem much of a problem at all,” replied Cristoval as they tended the plots, “There’s a crowbar back in the shed.”

       “Oh yeah? Well tell me, how’re we going to snip it out of there?”

       “I suppose I’ll leave that to you,” Cristoval meant it as a joke, but the truth was he was as worried and hopeless as Dante as to how they’re going to get a crowbar up to their cell.

       “Are you kidding me?”

       Talking during work would get someone fired by the end of the day, while getting caught talking with a friend instead of pulling weeds at work would cause someone to be thrown in the hole.