Chapter 9: The Sweetest Escape

“Are you out of your mind?” asked Sharee.

      “After getting dumped by you? What do you think?” Dante fired back, “Oh wait, you haven’t officially broken up with me. How about doing it now?”

      Darcy watched them talk as the three of them sat at a table in the corner. She was glad that her friend wasn't with him anymore. She never favored Dante. To see them arguing had always been Darcy’s sole wish. She wanted someone who’s best for Sharee, and unfortunately, Dante didn’t get her vote.

Perfect blend was a 24-hour functional place where one could literally expect to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with an actual meal that was eaten during breakfast, lunch, and dinner respectively. The menu changed appropriately as to what time of the day a customer wanted to eat. Bacon and eggs make it to the morning list while one gets to have a taste of Darsy’s special during lunch, which is the Carbonara recipe passed down by her grandmother to her aunt, which her aunt taught her mother, then eventually passed down to her. Darsy perfected it. On special holidays, a special was also added to the menu, like for instance, Christmas, which offered the choice of a whole turkey roasted for perhaps a whole family who wanted one.

      “What do you want me to say?”

      “There’s nothing you can say. This whole situation is a mess, and you’re the only one I can see who’s not affected at all,” Dante replied.

      “So what can I do so you would stop being so grumpy? You were the one who disappeared like a bubble, not me!” Sharee raised her voice for Dante to realize.

      “Keep it down a little, I have customers,” Darsy intervened. She’d love to see her friend open fire at him, but trouble’s bad for business.

__________________________________________________________

      Darcy wasn’t surprised at all when she saw Dante step inside yesterday. He pretended to buy something so he could start a conversation. Darcy was expecting him. She knew she was the first one he’d go to so that he could get to Sharee, despite the fact that he was aware of her disgust for him. Disgust may be too harsh, but that was really it. They weren’t close, but she’s been closest to Sharee and Dante had no better person to talk to about her besides Darcy.

      “Good evening sir,” Darsy raised an eyebrow like she did to him when Sharee and she were in high school, “What do you want?”

      “It’s been a long time,” Dante said.

      “State your business. Feel free to leave afterwards,” Darcy sounded like the coffee shop manager she was.

      “What’s with the attitude?

      “I’m surprised you have the guts to walk around as if you’re not a wanted man. You never had the talent of blending in, you know?”

      “How about you stop the sarcasm for a sec and help me reach her?” Dante asked.

      “And why would you need help on that? You got no mouth?”

      “It’s not like I can just show up at her front door while the police are after me.”

      “For your own good, stay away from Sharee. She’s a cop in case you’re still dumb and forgot. You’re nothing but trouble.” Darcy continued to wipe the counter.

      “If you see her, tell her I’d like to have a word,” Dante said as he stepped away from the counter, “I’ll be back.”

      “Wait…” Darcy stopped him from leaving, “Don’t you know?”