Chapter 28: Fight Fire with Fire

Droplets of crimson blood formed circles on the hay covered cement. More like possessed rather than angry, Dante mercilessly struck the lawyer blow by blow until he could no longer get back on his feet. He never knew he was capable of such brutality. A former mercenary, it was easy to kill from a distance,but not this. Making one suffer a slow and painful death was a lot different. The greatest mercy one could show an adversary was to deliver death in haste. Unfortunately for the lawyer, his torturer wasn’t capable of such.

      The windmill looked like any other ordinary structure from the outside.

      Old.

      Empty.

      Quiet.

      No passerby would suspect that there’s violence beyond its wooden doors.

      With a loud thud, Caesare lay flat on the floor from Dante’s kick. Black dots spotting his vision, Caesare wished he was dead. Not fit to last the slightest braw, he was always the one being bullied. The lawyer looked his tormentor in the eye for the slightest hint of pity, but Dante wasn’t moved. Caesare spat more blood this time as he coughed. His face bloodied with a broken nose, unconsciousness was soon to follow. He imagined his face to be that of tamer whose lion turned on him and ravaged him beyond recognition. Dante was no lion though. He was still himself, only letting the devil in him get the best of him. He transformed into someone who seemed to have left his conscience at home.

      Behind his ferocious eyes, there was pain. Pain for the years that he had cost him, and today, he’s going to make him pay.

      Humans after all were said to be the most dangerous predators on Earth. Dante gave testimony to that theory as his knuckles buried onto him. Thinking the hook he gave him was too subtle; Dante stomped onto his stomach, robbing him seconds of breathing time.

      The place was rarely entered by anyone, sometimes by travelers and merchants to rest their feet from weary journeys, but rarely, which was the reason why Dante thought it to be the perfect place to take care of his business with Caesare – not far from the party, but remote. Wise, Leon must’ve come up with a similar idea.

      Great minds think alike.

      From behind the adequate stack of hay, Leon witnessed how the lawyer desperately tried to get his feet under him, only to be knocked down again by the man whenever he did.

     Moltisanti? Leon couldn’t believe his eyes. He was less than a few meters from Shallowlake’s most wanted. Of all the people in the world…

      In an attempt to catch attention, Sharee tried hitting him, but it only took one of his hands to suppress her arms’ wild movements. Her mouth still covered, she’s unable to call out for help. She tried to see what was happening but Leon didn’t let her, keeping her pinned down on the hay.

      The gears of the mechanism that comprised the vanes squeaked for the jagged cogs were now misfits due to rust, the only sound audible if it weren’t for Caesare’s heavy breathing. Dante remained bothered as to why Sharee’s car was outside.

      Coincidence?  Does she know about this?Dante struggled in deducing the reason.

      “Where’s my son? Tell me where he is,” Caesare could barely speak.

      “You don’t get to see him just yet,” Dante’s fists didn’t seem to tire, still clenched into a solid ball.

      Not quite convinced that there were only two of them in the room, Dante knew that Sharee’s car stood under the sun outside because she was near. He was about to search the room when the rumbling of another motorcycle’s engine died just outside.