Chapter 10: Bad Influence

“Quite frankly Dante, I’m confused,” said Sharee.

      “By what?” Dante asked.

      “As to why you want me to get these for you,” she answered, her eyes not moving away from the paper.

      Even during the earliest of times they got to know each other, Sharee found Dante’s methods somewhat mysterious. He’d do things which would seem unnecessary and far from what seemed he needed to be doing. But in the end, one thing sure about Dante, was that he got what he wanted.

      “Those people are responsible for this deep shit I am currently in,” Dante replied, “Any more questions?”

      “What if I refuse?” the irrefutable truth that Sharee wasn’t willing to aid a fugitive was in her tone. To refuse didn’t only mean that she wanted to stay out of his business. It also indicated that she’s on the side of the law.

      “Then I’ll get them myself,” Dante said with a surprisingly high confidence in his tone.

      “You’re mad. Do not underestimate the security at the station,” warned his ex, “Even if you were the greatest thief and managed to get in, I assure you you’re not getting out, at least not alive.”

      It’s true. The Shallowlake Police Department was housed in a three tier facility. During the war, its name used to be Fort Naomi, and it served as a hospital for the sick and wounded alike. But it wasn’t called a fort for nothing. Later on, seeing the need for a stronghold to maintain the supply of food and weapons in the front lines, it became a headquarters for the one in control, and whoever controlled it controlled the caravan routes essential to winning the war. It played a vital role back in the days.

      When the war was over, people started settling in Shallowlake. More years passed, Shallowlake eventually evolved from a simple settlement to a town, and Fort Naomi served as the people’s first Town Hall. Due to the constant expansion and increase of the town’s population, a new Hall was built and the offices were transferred to the more majestic building. Leaving the old one empty, it’s now the police station of Shallowlake.

      Another fact was that Sharee’s correct. One may be smart enough to get passed the locks, and bars, and sensors, but the patrol units will prevent anyone from penetrating deeper inside, especially at night. The vault where Dante’s interests lie within is a room filled with cameras monitored live, unlike some facilities which install surveillance equipment merely for show or to discourage theft. It wasn’t literally a vault, but he would technically be entering one.

      It won’t be easy. Even for Sharee, who’s been working in there for more than two years now, stealing is almost impossible.

      Almost. But it can be done. Especially by someone who’s already inside. Sharee had access, so the obvious move is to make her agree to do the crime of the century. Make a cop commit burglary for someone who broke out of prison. The perfect crime.

      “I won’t do it,” refused Sharee.

      Dante knew she wouldn’t. He would have to make her want to do it. He didn’t have anything of value that he could bargain with except a particular thing. Something that belonged to her. He thought better of it, so he came prepared.

      “By the way, before I forget, I want to give this back to you,” Dante said as he pulled out a rectangular piece of wood from his left side jacket. Placing it gently face down on the table, it scratched the furniture a little as he pushed close to her, which would have made Darcy scold him had she seen her precious table damaged.

      It took Sharee a while before she recognized the object. She didn’t pick it up, not until after looking at Dante with so much hatred that he felt her stare pierce through him like a knife on his throat.

      Picking it up only put more firewood on the huge bonfire already burning inside her. Seeing that the picture of her and Carlos was missing in the middle of the frame, she demanded, “Give it back.”

      “Let’s make a deal. You know I’m a fair person, right?” said Dante, “I stole it, so it wouldn’t be just if it’s the only thing you gain for doing me a favor. So how about this: You help me get those files, and I leave you for good. You shall have peace plus get the picture back as a bonus.”

      Trying to read his game plan, Sharee thought of the outcome. She gets the photo back and loses Dante. Dante gets what he wants. By the looks of it, revenge weighed more than Sharee for him at the moment, or he’s pretending it is.

      “Fine,” Sharee agreed, finding it strange to have agreed for a piece a photograph when she and Carlos had hundreds of them.

      Her answer broke Dante’s already broken heart.

      “When do you need it?” Sharee asked.

      “As soon as possible,” Dante replied, trying to hide the fact that he’s affected by Sharee’s compliance.

      “How about tomorrow?”

      “No problem. So I can expect it to be in my hands by then?”

      “Tomorrow evening it is. I won't lock my window. Go and wait for me there. Don't get caught. About the photo…”

      “It’s in your mailbox together with its frame.”

      Sharee frowned in confusion.

      “What you’re holding is something I bought from the store. I would have given it back to you whether you helped me or not,” Dante confessed.

      Hearing this, Sharee realized what the deal she made with him was all about. She spends a farewell party with Dante after she gets him a farewell gift, “Is that so? Well, I hope you really bought it,” said Sharee, implicating the possibility that he shoplifted.

      “See you later,” Dante stood up and went to counter where Darcy was before Sharee would notice that she figured out exactly what he did.

      “Here’s for the coffee. I got to admit, this place is nice,” handing her payment, despite really being short on cash that he pinched the frame that served as a proxy for the real one.

      “Thanks,” she said, taking his payment and opening the cash register, “May I never see you again,” Darcy replied, about to give him his change.

      But he was gone.