Chapter 20:

The plane was shakily making its way to the runway and I still hadn’t made my decision. They seemed like lovely people and they were definitely in love but did I want to move in with them? I thought the point of moving away was to start fresh and be by myself.

The problem was I didn’t know what I wanted. Did I really want to be all alone? Did I even want to be a doctor anymore? They hadn’t been much help to dad or Nate. What if being a doctor just reminded me of all that bad stuff at the hospital? But what would I do? I guess I could go to university here. But what on earth would I even study? Hotel management like Nate did?

My head was filled with questions that rippled around my head like my brain was water and someone was trying to skim stones across it.

But the question that was the largest stone was did I want to move in with complete strangers that seemed nice? I couldn’t decide. Moving in with them would be dumb and stupid and naïve. What if they turned out to be complete psychos? Not moving in with them would be playing it safe. Saying no would be what parents would tell you to say. But at that moment I considered myself an orphan so what the hell?

            “Ok. Yes,” I said before I could change my mind. The plane touched the runway and we were all laughing and saying I can’t believe it.

We walked together through customs and then to baggage claim and Andrew got all of our bags off of the rotator whilst Helena and I became further acquainted. I couldn’t believe my new life was really starting. It wasn’t happening in a month or a year but it was starting there and then and it was the most exhilarating feeling in the world. I felt like I was a bird soaring over the huge city buildings, hundreds of feet high into the sky.

            “Have you been to Sydney before?” Helena asked.

            “Twice once when I was ten and another time when I was fourteen. I don’t remember much of it.”

            “Yes! This means that we get to take you sightseeing!”

            “Urgh! I hate sightseeing,” Helena complained.

            “We’ll go to Pitt Street afterwards,” Andrew promised her.

            “Okay I’m in,” Helena said and I laughed. April would’ve done the exact same thing.

            “So is this all the bags?” Andrew asked, “I know Helena and I had one each and I have those ones. But I’ve only gotten one of yours.”

            “I have three,” I admitted sheepishly.

            “Two to go,” he said and I smiled.

            “I’ll point them out for you,” I promised and kept my eyes on the rotator that had the bags moving around on them.

Once we got my other two bags we loaded them all on to a baggage trolley and started making our way to the arrivals gate where we’d be able to leave.

We caught two taxis (so we could fit the luggage) to their apartment and what was now my apartment too.

The first thing I could say about the apartment was that it was spotless. Nothing was out of place. The magazines were stacked neatly. The pillows were placed in perfect positions on the black couch. The white carpet was completely white. No stains.

The apartment was beautiful. The front door opened in between the living room and the kitchen. The living room had black couches with white fluffy pillows. The coffee table was also black but from what I could tell it was timber. The white carpet broke up all the black and the entire apartment looked plush because of it. A flat screen TV sat on a matching TV unit next to a wide looking corridor that I assumed led to the bedrooms.