Chapter 4:

April and I decided to go to Stucky’s for lunch. Stucky’s was just around the block from the hospital and it was April and I’s favourite café not to mention pretty much any person who worked at the hospital. Stucky’s beat the hospital’s cafeteria any day. Stucky was a Greek man and his name in Greek was Costaki but everyone called him Stucky leading him to calling his beautiful café Stucky’s.

            “Oly sent me a picture yesterday. I think she’s having fun,” I stated.

            “I know, I’m so happy for her but we have got to talk to mum and dad. They are still refusing to go see her perform.”

            “Seriously?” I asked outraged. “I know they don’t exactly like what Oly chose to do for a living but couldn’t they at least act like they supported her?”

            “I know. It’s your turn to call mum by the way.”

            “I’ll call … but that’ll be the last time until she goes and sees Oly perform.”

            “Bella!”

            “What?” I asked, “What mum is doing to Oly is completely unfair and I can’t wait for Oly to become so rich and famous just so she can rub it in mum’s face.”

            “I know what mum is doing is unfair but she’s still our mum and you can’t not talk to her.”

I considered for a moment and realised April had a point. I only spoke to mum once a week if I was lucky. I liked catching up with her.

            “Urgh. Why does she have to be so stubborn?”

“It’s mum,” April pointed out and I sighed. “But we have to keep this from Oly.”

“I know. It’ll totally ruin her trip,” I groaned as I opened the door to Stucky’s. I walked in and saw Niall sitting at the table directly in front of the door. He was unmissable. I stopped in my tracks and turned to find April was nowhere in site and I internally groaned. She set me up.

I awkwardly walked up to Niall’s table, his eyes on me. I placed my bag on the floor and sat down opposite him.

            “Glad to see you, Red Lips,” he greeted putting his phone down.

            “You really are crazy.”

            “Now why do you say that?”

            “Well firstly I blew you off and I’ll explain to you why in a second and second I spilt not one but two drinks on you and you still think you’re glad to see me.”

            “So why?”

It took me a second to realise he was trying to ask why I blew him off.

            “Look, I don’t know how much April or Oly’s told you about me but I’m a surgical resident at Saint Bart’s. A doctor. That means my schedule can get a bit hectic. For example, my pager could beep at any moment and I’d have to bolt to the hospital and that day a huge three car accident happened and the patients were brought to our hospital. I was rushed into an emergency surgery saving a four year old girls life and that’s why I didn’t text or call or show up.”

            “I know. Why do you think I’m here?” he asked and I smiled. I liked how he was so understanding and didn’t hold a grudge.

            “So who organised this?”

            “April,” he replied easily, “But don’t tell her I told you.”