Chapter 18:

A few days later and mum agreed to turn off the life support. It was horrible to hear the exact moment when dad stopped breathing and I wished I didn’t have to see him die because I wanted to remember the goods time and that moment clouded his memory like a stray cloud hovers over the sun. A few days later we were heading back to London and then back to Green Meadows for the funeral services. It was morbid to think about what their funerals would be like.

Before we started leaving for Green Meadows I went by my house to grab some more clothes. I wanted to stay in Green Meadows for a little while and I didn’t have enough clothes. I entered the stale air of the apartment and walked over to the phone because it was flashing red meaning we had some messages. I pressed play and then went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I was by myself because April went with Oly to her apartment.

The robotic voice of the answering machine sounded and then the message played out, “Hey, Bella. It’s Niall, the guys and I, oh and Hope, were going to go out clubbing tonight. I was wondering if you wanted to join. Call me back, love you.” The machine beeped signifying the end of the message then the robotic voice announced the next message.

            “Bella, why aren’t you answering any of me calls? Call me back I’m worried,” his voice sounded through the room.

            “Bella, seriously, what’s going on? Where are you? The hospital said you and April took emergency leave. Please call me back!”

I walked over to the machine and turned it off. I sighed before going to my room I quickly packed an extra bag and then locked up the apartment before heading out to my car. I drove to Niall’s and parked the car. I slid my hand bag onto my shoulder as I left the car and locked the doors before heading into Niall’s apartment building. I went to his door and fretted about how I was meant to tell Niall that I had been ignoring him because I was in New York because my dad and my brother died. It wasn’t exactly happy news and I was trying to find a way to say it without making myself start crying.

When I went to knock on the door it opened automatically and I frowned. He mustn’t have closed it properly, I mused. I walked in calling out Niall’s name.

            “Hello? Niall?” I called out to the empty apartment I looked around and it didn’t look like anyone was home. I was about to leave when I heard something from the bedroom. I thought maybe he had been sleeping and I was right in a way. He was sleeping just not in the way I meant.

I opened the door of Niall’s bedroom to see Niall with Anna in bed with no clothes on. Shocked and disgusted I closed the door and bolted out of the apartment.

It was just what I needed after my dad and brother died, to find my, whatever Niall was, in bed with his what he told me ex-girlfriend. I heard Niall shout after me and follow me tripping as he probably pulled his pants on, I didn’t turn to check.

            “Bella stop!” he shouted.

            “Why?” I snarled turning around.

            “Where on earth have you been?” he asked and my eyes widened after all the things he could’ve said to me.

            “That’s what you’re going to ask me? Well how about this?” I asked getting riled up. I was depressed and now I was hurt. And pissed off. “Why on earth are you in bed with Anna?”

Anna came up behind Niall, wearing his hoodie may I add, smiling like nothing was wrong.

            “I’m so sorry you had to see that,” she gushed giggling and I sussed her out. She was being completely honest. She was acting as if a friend had walked in on them doing it not, whatever I was to Niall because we clearly weren’t boyfriend slash girlfriend.