8

"so, why'd you move here?" grayson leans against the railing of the golden gate and stares off to the dark horizon. i stand beside him and keep my eyes ahead.

"my stepdad got a job offer. good pay but then again, it's not like we need more money."

"there's more to life." he says, barely audible. he turns to me and i refuse the urge to make eye contact.

"exactly. what's the point of money if you're miserable while making it, right?"

"id rather be broke but have the time of my life." he chuckles lightly, moving closer to me. i can feel his eyes on the side of my face, scanning my features. a blush creeps into my cheeks.

"i have had the time of my life.." i whisper-sing.

"and i've never felt this way before..." he continues.

"and i swear that it's true. and i owe it all to you." we finish it off with a laugh, me finally turning to face him.

"iconic." he leans in a bit, his eyes trained on my lips.

"true."

he leans in further yet i can't push myself to do the same. as much as i'd like to, i just can't bring myself to do it. jacob flashbacks continue to flood my mind.

say no, sol.

"no." i state, my voice cracking.

he stops and brings his gaze to mine, searching my eyes with a soft glimmer.

"what?" he seems confused, pulling his head back from mine.

"i'm sorry. i can't." my lip quivers yet i'm able to suppress the rising tears.

"sol, no it's okay. don't be sorry please. i'm sorry." he reaches out to touch my arm but i flinch away, mind racing with flashbacks.

being pinned on the ground.

pain.

"i'm sorry, i shouldn't have tried kissing you so fast. it's okay, i won't again." he slowly steps towards me, his hands in front of him.

this is grayson. jacob was cocky and full of himself, constantly talking about the last girl he hooked up with.

gray is different.

i take a deep breath and close my eyes. everything is okay. when i open my eyes he's looking at me concerned, a hint of worry buried beneath his green irises.

"it's okay. i just... i'm.... uh..." i'm cut off by the sudden contact by grayson when his arms are wrapped around me, embracing me into a caring hug.

it takes a second before i'm melting into the hug, resting my chin on his shoulder and squeezing my eyes shut. tears are forming behind my lashes by the time i comprehend what's happening.

"who hurt you?" he whispers so close to my ear shivers creep down my back.

my body pulls away as tears well up in my eyes.

dont cry.

"cry. it's okay." he gently grabs my hand and holds it in his, the callouses slightly scratching my soft skin.

tears spill from the corners of my eyes and my free hand covers my mouth, trying to quiet my cries.

"come here." he pulls me into his chest, rubbing my back.

we stand like that for what seemed like forever, me gripping his thin shirt as warm tears plop onto the white fabric. once i simmer down a bit we take a small walk to a wooden bench by the bay.

"i'm sorry. i met you last week and i'm already crying on your shoulder." i laugh, tears still managing to escape.

"hey, it's okay." his large hand reaches my thigh, squeezing lightly.

"grayson?"

"yeah?"

"i need to tell you something." my body shakes, a queasy feeling lying in the pit of my stomach. my phone vibrates just as i'm about to open my mouth.

a new dm.

-

user91994
7:35 pm

do it and he'll end up just like his brother

-

he must have my phone tapped. he was always picking on the so-called 'nerds' who happened to be great with computers. he's definitely not alone.

"sol? what do you need to tell me?" he shakes my leg and i look up from my phone with tears brimming my waterline.

"please leave me alone grayson. get as far away from me as you can, i don't want you to get hurt."

"what?"

"please, you d-don't. i'm sorry- i can't let this happen." now i'm standing, stepping back. grayson can't get hurt.

i should've never brought him into this.

it's my fault.

i turn around and run, his voice calling from behind me.

"i'm sorry." i whisper, no one listening. as i run i spot one of b's famous sculptures, set beside a cafe door. the first i've seen outside of the gallery.

it's a sun.