Chapter 18

Brian’s POV

Unfortunately I didn’t make it to visit Katie in the hospital the same day again. I prepared the house for Katie: I was cleaning everything, restocked the freezer with her favorite ice cream and bought several bouquets with her favorite flowers and put one in each room. I washed Pinkly and tied a bow on top of her head making her look cute and fluffy for her momma.

The cleaning and running errands for making everything perfect had been exhausting and had left me crushing on the couch. The next morning I woke up with a tight knot in the pit of my stomach. I was so nervous and a million questions were running through my head. I hoped with all my heart that Katie wanted to see me. I know I had a lot of apologizing to do and she was probably hating me at this point but damn, I was determined to win her back.

After a small breakfast and letting Pinkly out to play in the garden I was getting ready to get her out of the hospital. I pulled on some black, washed out jeans, a grey sleeveless shirt and after putting on my necklaces I kissed the one in remembrance of Jimmy and asked him for luck. I styled my hair the way she liked it, showing off the freshly buzzed sidecuts and whistled for Pinkly as I skipped down the stairs. She was coming with me, my moral support if you like.

I had just stuffed my wallet and phone in my back pocket and was about to pick up Pinkly and the car keys when my phone rang. Rolling my eyes since I was already a little late to pick up her flowers I fished for it and saw that Michelle was calling me.

“Hey girl. It’s not really a good time right now.” I said walking out the door. Pinkly wiggled herself free and rushed to the car barking.

“Oh I’m sorry. I just wanted to ask you about the appointment for the test.” Michelle said softly and I walked up to my car.

“Oh shit, I totally forgot about that. Ok, listen. Make an appointment whenever it suits you best and I’ll be there, alright? I’m kind of in a hurry now to check my calendar.” I hopped in behind the steering wheel and placed my wallet and keys in the space behind the gear shift.

“Alright. But what happened? Is something wrong?” She asked worried. I couldn’t hold myself back and rolled my eyes.

“I’m picking Katie up from the hospital.” Michelle gasped, “Yeah I know, but … I’m gonna win her back, Chelle. I realized, I can’t lose her…” I said truthfully. It was a shame that things had to come this far to make me realize that but what’s done is done. I had to grow a pair and stand up for my mistakes.

“I’m happy for you, Bri. And good luck with Katie.” I sighed at her sad tone. She had probably thought that the baby would bring me back to her. I admit our son was a reason why I felt so close to my ex-wife lately. Plus the fights with Katie; all in all I regret leading her on.

“I’m sorry, honey. This is all my fault. I’m sorry for hurting you, I’m sorry for hurting Katie. I love her, Chelle, I really do.” I looked down to my hand on the steering wheel.

“I know, Brian. I can see that.” She sighed.

“I’ll still be there for the baby.” I mumbled.

“Don’t worry about that. Go get your girlfriend. I’ll sort things out and let you know. Bye.” With that she hung up. Just like that. With a dumbfounded look at the screen of my phone. I looked at Pinkly who yelped happily, which reminded me of my mission. I placed the phone to my other things and started the engine.

“Ready, girl?” I grinned as my dog leaned back in the passenger seat but I could tell she was excited. She yelped as if she was agreeing and I sped off to get my girl.