Chapter 2

Brian’s POV

“Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?” It was in the middle of the night and Johnny was bouncing up and down on the couch of our tour bus being his drunken and obnoxious self.

“No, we are not. Could you please shut up now?” Kurt, our driver, was very close of losing his cool by now. Which would be a first but we are talking about a very annoying midget here.

A couple of hours ago we had performed our first show in Germany after 3 years of being absent. It was mind blowing and so much fun. Rocking out with those German kids was awesome. They were crazy, totally nuts compared to our fans in the US but not as insane as the British fellas. Nevertheless we had the time of our lives and that’s why Johnny and Ben were really shitfaced. We had been spending some time with the fans after the concert and Matt and I had even given one or two interviews which had been pretty exhausting. So the rest of us only had a few beers. Matt was taking care of his voice, Arin was in his bunk sleeping and Zacky was still on the phone in the back of the bus.

Since we started this tour he had been in a lot of fights with Gena over the phone. He wouldn’t tell us what it was about but it was visibly nagging on him. But I wouldn’t bug him about it. Of course I knew what bottling things up could do to you but it was his choice after all and it was probably nothing too severe. Couples fight. That’s normal. Besides a little fight here and there does no harm and considering the make up sex afterwards … I think you get my drift.

“Ok kids, I call it a night.” I said and downed the last bit of my beer. It was almost 4 in morning and I still suffered from that damn jetlag. We had a day off before our next show but still.

“Aw you’re such a party pooper, Gates.” Ben threw his arm around my shoulders and really got into my face.

“Well this body doesn’t look so good if it weren’t for the beauty sleep. I’ll kill you if you come near my bunk.” I held him in a headlock making Johnny literally piss himself of laughter and then left to the bunk area. I took of my jeans and changed into a white V-neck shirt and climbed into my little sleeping cabin. Pulling the blanket up to my chest I turned to face the wall and was met by the gorgeous smile of my very own redheaded angel. I had pinned a picture of Katie on the wall so she was the first and last thing I saw when I woke up or fell asleep.

I looked at it for hours and I couldn’t help but smile a little as I traced her jawline and cheek for the hundredth time. Every inch of me was aching for her. I missed her so much that every day felt like a whole year that passed without her by my side.

I knew I had fucked up. It was my fault that she left L.A. in the first place. I had pushed her away with my stupid actions and I regretted it with all my heart.

I had confided in my dad before we had left for tour. We had an amazing relationship and I trusted him completely. He had said that I should use this tour to let go of Katie, to clear my head of her and just drown in our music. It was of no use to mourn after her, he had said. And at first I agreed with him.

Don’t get me wrong, I did everything in my power to get in touch with her but her phone number got disabled and she wouldn’t reply to my e-mails. I had even asked Elly if she knew Katie’s new phone number but she had refused to give it to me. We had a pretty nasty fight because of that and since then no one of us had heard from her again. Even Zacky and Val weren’t speaking with Katie; she had vanished from our lives as sudden as she had invaded it.

But the more I fought against the thought of her the more the memories pushed themselves into my mind. The first couple of shows were normal but suddenly, I remember it was in Dallas, Texas, it happened while we were playing ‘Fiction’. I turned around to look at pictures of my best friend and brother when the memory of her holding me came back to me. From that moment on it was a flood of pictures and memories rushing back into my head and forgotten was the advice of my father. I had pulled out her photo and when I was by myself all I did was reliving our wonderful time together over and over again.