Chapter 26

"So where's her father?" Terrence asked as he drove. He'd straightened up after we left applebees. We decided we still wanted to talk and get to know each other, so he's just been driving. Wasting gas.

"He's in her life. He's the best dad she could have."

"For some reason I thought you was gonna have something negative to say," he looked over at me and chuckled.

"I mean, him and I may not get along. But he's a great father and I could never take that from him. That boy changed his entire life around for her, that's love." I smiled proudly. I may not like him all the time but Nana was his heart. I know he'll always have her on whatever she needs if I don't.

"If you don't mind me asking, why y'all not together?"

"To be honest, simple shit that got more serious than it needed to be. He wouldn't really spend time with me as much or be there for me, so I would get in my feelings. And no. I am not the type of female to want my man up under me twenty-four seven."

"But I also don't want my man giving all his attention and time to the next bitch. Cause that makes me feel like you putting her before me, and I'm just on the back burner. You get where I'm coming from?"

"Yeah I feel you, so who was the girl? His female best friend, a sister or cousin?"

"My sister."

He looked over at me with a confused look. By now we were parked in a parking lot. There wasn't many cars near where we were.

"You didn't trust that?" He asked

"No I did not and I probably will never trust it. See my sister done crossed me before with a dude I was messing with. The dude she knew was my first everything. She had a baby by him and everything."

"Oh, I understand now. You think she just wants everything you got? Or you think she just trynna hurt you?"

"I think the bitch just want whatever nigga I touch. I be watching the way she look at my daughter's dad, I know she want him. I can feel it. I'm not no fool, she has every reason to want him. He'll go above and beyond for her, why wouldn't she want him?"

"You think he'll ever cross that line?"

"Honestly, I don't know. Like some of the shit he do for her makes me feel like he got feelings for her, but then again I don't feel like he grimey enough to do that to me. He knows what I've been through with that girl, I don't think he would put me through nothing like that... I would hope not."

See now I was thinking. I hadn't really thought about if August wanted Shawnie, just the fact that she wanted him.

"Can I tell you somethin'?" Terrence asked.

"Of course. We been playing Dr. Phill to each other anyways." I said causing us both to laugh.

"I don't really date and shit. Like Ima nice dude and all, but I haven't just asked a girl to come somewhere with me unless I was trynna fuck."

I repositioned myself and tried to follow where he was going with this.

"I'm not trynna just fuck you, chill." He laughed

I gave an uneasy smile. Part of me wanted to ask what did he mean by just fuck me?

"I haven't really trusted a female since my ex. When I tell you I did everything for her lil spoiled ass, I did it all. Buying clothes, shoes, getting her hair done, nails, just the full package. If she wanted it all she had to do was ask."

"she ended up getting pregnant. I'm excited and shit like yo I'm finna be a Dad, I'm young and I'm scared but I'm excited at the same time. She ends up having a lil girl, I was happy as hell man I don't think I ever been that happy. My dad came up to the hospital and  took one look at her and said 'boy, that baby is not yours. You bet not sign shit.'"