LM - Part Three

Trevor

I helped her into the car and drove her to her new home, both of us staying almost silent. "Is it true?" I asked tentatively, not fully sure if I wanted to know the answer. "I don't mind if it is, but I want to know the truth."

Angel nodded slightly. "Yes," she said softly. "It is true. I don't want it to be, but it is." I'm glad I wasn't the only on thinking this was bad, but it was somewhat unnerving to see her so upset. "I didn't want to lie to you, but I didn't know how to say it."

"It's okay," I said truthfully. "Angel, if you ever need me for anything, I'd do it. You know I would."

"That's exactly it," Angel pouted. "I don't want you to do anything. I want you to do the one thing that nobody's ever done. I need you to walk away from me. I need you to tell me that I've been horrible, that I've done so many things that you can't handle... Just tell me to go away, to stay out of your life."

I stopped the car in her driveway, then looked over at her. "I'll never say that," I insisted. "If you want me to be here, I'll be here. Otherwise I'll leave."

"I need you," she said. "But I can't need you." Her voice broke, to a degree that I thought she was going to start crying. I reached over and put my hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off.

I opened my mouth to say something, but closed it just as quickly. Realizing there was nothing to say, I got out of the car and walked around to open Angel's door for her. She nodded a silent thanks, then got out carefully, grabbing onto the door. I wrapped my arm loosely around her waist to help her to the door.

"Hey, Angel," I said. She looked back at me, her eyes starting to water and become cold. "I mean it." She closed the door loudly and I jumped slightly as it slammed inches away from my face. I walked back to the car, looking over my shoulder only once. I saw her looking at me from behind the curtain, then it slid back into place.