SM - Part Five

Achlys

They didn't let me out of the hospital for another five hours. They were keeping me for observation, as the nurse explained it. I underwent a series of tests, and then shots. Testing for rabies, apparently. I tried telling them I was fine, because I would have known if I wasn't, but they wouldn't listen to me. Of course they wouldn't, them being medically trained.

They wouldn't let me go without someone to drive me home. So, stupid me, I insisted they call that boy, Trevor. He must be able to drive. I hated him, but he saved me once. Five minutes later he pulled up. He leaned over and opened the passenger door, and just sat there, not saying anything. I took that as an invitation, and got in the car.

"Sorry for inconveniencing you," I said. My voice was unintentionally cold, but I didn't correct myself, nor did I apologize. Why should I? I thought. Why should I be nice to him, when he's committed the worst act of cruelty to me that I deem possible?

"Just tell me where to go," he said back.

I handed him a folded-up paper; directions to my house. I didn't want to talk to him more than I had to.

The ride was quiet, neither of us having anything to say. When he pulled into my driveway, I opened the door and he grabbed my wrist. "I don't know why I saved you, but I would do it again." He let me go, and I slammed the door.

I knew I made a mistake, calling him to take me home, but I had nobody else to call. I lived on my own, but nobody had to know that, as far as I was concerned. Everybody thought I lived with my grandmother, who was retired and disabled, so she never left the house.

I let myself into the house, and I went to my room. Being attacked by wolves makes a person tired, I guess. I fell asleep, and dreamed of Trevor.

His face swirled, as if in a pool of water. The reflection shook, his features wavering back and forth. I could see him opening his mouth to say something, but nothing would come. Only a steady stream of bubbles. I screamed his name, unsure why but I knew I had to. Water flowed into my lungs, and I felt myself drowning...

I woke up, screaming. Repeating to myself that it was just a dream, I finally managed to calm myself down. The silence around me was piercing; I couldn't ever remember one so loud. There was a name for times like this, although I couldn't think of it.

I got up and got a glass of water, then looked through the cupboards for a snack. I found a poptart in an otherwise empty cupboard, then went back to my bed to eat in peace.

Now that I wasn't so scared, and I'd had something to eat, I fell back asleep. This time, though, I didn't dream.