Her Hunters

Chapter One

I placed the book back on the shelf before turning to grab another off of the table. I had been working in the town library since early that morning and hadn’t had a chance to grab lunch yet. I blushed as my stomach growled and an older woman looked in my direction. “I’m sorry.” I said quietly, before quickly getting back to work. I sighed in relief as her gaze returned to the worn journal in her hands.

“Miss, I was wondering if you could help me find something?” I turned to the man that spoke, with a gentle smile on my face, appreciating the handsome face that matched the deep voice. His dark hair fell to his shoulders in a ragged cut, and his green eyes sparkled as the wandered.

Swallowing hard, I pushed a piece of hair behind my ear and looked down at my shoes. Looking back up at the man, I forced a tight, uncomfortable smile to my face. “What can I help you with?” I wanted to wince at the way my voice cracked.

“I am looking for a book that I was told I could find here. It’s a one of a kind and I need it for… research.” His green eyes darkened slightly as he shot me a dazzling, white smile. My heart pounded in my chest as I crossed my arms, letting my eyes roam across the wide expanse of his chest.

Clearing my throat, I blinked several times. “Um, you will have to be more specific. We have several unique books in our vault.” I shifted my weight under his gaze as he cocked an eyebrow in my direction. “I don’t even know if you would have access to it. What do you need the book for?”

“Like I said… research.” His voice sent goosebumps flying across my flesh and toward my core.

I squirmed and set another book on the shelf. “I need to know what this research is for. Those books are kept in the vault for a reason.” I flinched when his large hand wrapped around my wrist and held me there, but the tightness of his grip was not what drew forth the gasp that escaped my lips. “Of course.” His energy danced along my skin, and I had to fight myself from leaning into him.

“Miss, is he hurting you?” The older woman asked from the table a few feet away. I saw the concern in her eyes, but I just gave her a reassuring smile and shook my head. She pursed her lips. “Alright. I am watching you, mister.”

The man gave her a tight smile and pulled me further down the row of bookshelves, despite my protests. “Please. I need that book.” There was an urgency in his voice that I couldn’t deny, but I couldn’t just fork over the book either.

“Listen, wolf. I am not getting you anywhere near that book until you tell me why you need it.” I whispered harshly, pulling my wrist from his grasp. My skin tingled where his hand had been seconds before, but I pushed the thoughts from my head.

His green eyes darkened even further, telling more than his words had. He had been counting on me not knowing what he was. “How did you know that? Who are you?” I gave him my own smile.

“My name is Talia Nightraven.”