ten

lauren is not who you think he is. he's one of them, reina.

i hear travis' voice echo through my head, over and over again, as i make my way toward the aisle i'm usually seated at during my law lecture.

he's one of them.

i take in his presence and immediately regret it. i haven't seen him in almost three days, ever since our break up and i'm too weak to prevent my heart from aching when i see him slouched over the desk, his bent arm being the only thing preventing his head from falling. oh god, when was the last time he has slept properly?

my feet come to an abrupt halt and i contemplate sliding into my usual seat next to him for a split second. but i immediately decide against it. i'm not his girlfriend anymore. and as much as it hurts, i know i owe it to him. he has to move on, and so do i.

even if it means i'll never get to know more about his involvement with kaden. i guess some questions aren't supposed to be answered and this one falls most likely into that category.

exhaling a deep breath, i begin to move further up again to get as far away from him as possible. that's when i notice his eyes are already firmly planted on me.

i can't quite decipher the look he's giving me, i don't feel as if i was in my body at all. the only thing i'm aware of is that i need to get away and that's exactly what i do.

i nearly run up the stairs and slide into the first empty seat my eyes land on. breathe, reina. just breathe. it's one lecture, you can do this.

the sound signalising the door shutting close snaps me out of my panic mode, though it doesn't help an ounce with the feeling of my throat closing when kaden's eyes find mine. he walks toward his desk, trying to appear as professional as a professor can get.

"alright, folks." his solemn voice vibrates through the auditorium as he sets his stuff onto the table, taking a seat in the solid chair, "long story cut short -- assignments. i'm not really in the mood for a passionate discussion today, so just set your papers onto my table and then prepare some outlines for next week's assignment disputing the basics of criminal law."

i'm pretty sure if i wasn't freaking out because of the fact that i forgot about the assignment, i'd be laughing on the irony of kaden lecturing us about law and precepts the same way i do almost every class. but that's not the case right now.

by the time my internal battle comes to an end, most of my classmates return back to their seats while the few remaining set the papers onto kaden's desk. i don't know wheter to stand up and go excuse myself but based on the amused look he's giving me, i'd say he wants exactly that.

i push off the chair, nervously wringing my hands together as i walk down the aisle, bracing myself with every single step that brings me closer to his desk. calm down, it's just kaden. you can talk your way out of this. it might take a little more persuading later but. . .

"turn around."

i look up at the person that's trying to deter me from walking any further, only to let the last remnants of my willpower and resolve completely spill.

"turn around," lauren repeats silently, his fingertips now gently wrapped around my elbow trying to spin me back around. when he sees i'm not cooperative, his hand goes to the small of my back, slightly pushing me forward. "rei."

my brain finally begins working again and i whip my head to look at him," what? no. what are you doi—"

"reina, please." he tries to force me to walk once again, this time coming off as successful, "just do what i'm saying this once."

"we're not together anymore, lauren. i don't have to do anything you're saying." i don't even know if i can trust you anymore.

"i know." he lowers his head a little, causing his almost black hair cover his mesmerizing chocolate brown eyes as he exhales a pent up breath. "i know. but that doesn't mean i'm going to let you completely shut me out. i'm still your friend, reina, and i don't like the way that man's looking at you right now so just please, if there's a part inside you that still cares about my opinion, turn around and walk back to your seat with me."

i know lauren's sudden behavior probably doesn't make much sense now but i promise it'll make sense once the things slowly start to uncover.

anyway, hands up everyone who doesn't know whether to trust lauren right now.

thank you for 13K reads btw <3 things are going to get pretty intense from now on so watch out

oh, one more thing. I've published a new book yesterday -- "holding back" that i'm really excited for so if you're interested as well, you can go and check it out.