seven

the periodical ticking of the big, round clock hanging on the wall opposite the small cloth couch i'm currently crumpled in tells me that ten minutes have passed since lauren slammed the door and left already.

the pained expression of his usually smooth and optimism-filled face, his warm and calming eyes now turned into shallow and empty holes, is engraved to my mind, refusing to leave even when i pinch my eyes tightly closed.

the guilt swallowed me the moment the door clicked shut, and now is the feeling of utter despair trying to do the same.

"why does it have to be like this?"

the words tumble out of my mouth, barely reaching a faint whisper.

i run the back of my hand across my right cheek, trying to get all the remnants of my tears away. at this point, i wish i'd be able to cry but there's nothing left in me anymore and the dried stains soaking into my skin, mixed with some of my black mascara, are the perfect proof of that.

i have nothing left now.

no home, no hope, not even the faintest trace of the happiness lauren brought into my life.

i shift my gaze to the ground, letting my eyes linger on the several pieces of my phone scattered across the wooden ground, curling into a tiny ball of limbs.

anyone sane would probably regret loosing their temper to the point their phone ended in smashed pieces but i guess, after all, i can't really consider myself sane. besides, kaden won't really mind buying me a new one.

maybe, they've finally succeeded, finally gotten under my skin.

i tried to be strong for the longest possible but everyone has a breaking point, and mine (most likely) came right now.

knock. knock. knock.

a desperate knocking on the front apartment door brings me out of thought and i immediately push myself off the couch.

as i head toward the door, i contemplate quickly grabbing some kind of weapon -- knife, caster, pan, anything that could be helpful since my phone is laying on the ground, completely useless-- but i dodge the idea. i don't need to be afraid anymore; there's nothing worth fighting for me here anyway.

inhaling a sharp breath, i turn the knob around, almost falling to the ground when i take in the person standing in front of me.

i blink a few times, desperately trying to get the hallucination out of my head but he's still there, standing at the exactly same spot as before.

"travis?" i huff out, the shock washing over me. "what are you -- what are you doing here?"

he presses his lips into a thin line before quickly turning his head from left to right, an action signalising something's definitely wrong. he wouldn't come to my college campus if it wasn't.

"i don't have much time." he huffs out quickly, the sternness of his stiff posture only adding gasoline into the fire, "we need to talk, reina. but we need to do it inside. i can't be here because as soon as they find out i'm back, they're going to come for me."

don't forget to vote and comment please :) i love seeing your feedback

da da da da... travis! tbh i wasn't really planning to upload this chapter today but i got caught up and finished it fast so why the hell not?

Q: what do you think was travis talking about? why do you think he has 'tracked down' reina again when he knows she doesn't want to talk to him?