Apocalypse's Horsemen [11]

Chapter Eleven

My heart felt like it had been ripped to shreds after only minutes of being in that stadium. The unforgettable bile inducing smell of the dead and the dying never faded. It was a constant companion as I watched over the weary souls, preparing them for their final journey on this world. Most were just grateful for a friendly face, a reassuring smile to soothe them off to sleep.

Most closed their eyes and drew their last breath with a content smile on their face. But each time I caught sight of that expression, watched the life pass from their body and move on to the next life, it made the burden hanging around my shoulders that much heavier. I felt like a failure, like I wasn’t protecting these people as I should.

“Hey, are you okay?”

Lucius placed a hand on my shoulder as we continued through the aisles of the sick and dying. I shot him a look over my shoulder before jutting my chin out and taking an extra step. His comforting hand fell away spurned.

“What do you think Lucius? I can’t do anything. I have all of these gifts, bestowed upon me by your father and I am as helpless as a human.”

I blinked rapidly to try and stop the tears that wanted to fall.

“Unfortunately Savannah, this is the burden of the angel. We cannot save everyone. We survive on the knowledge that their souls will go on to meet my father. Those that have committed grave wrongs in the world will serve out their afterlife in the underworld.” Lucius voice was honest and toneless as he spoke. “If we tortured ourselves over every loss of life, there would be no angels. They would go insane with trying to prevent deaths that are unpreventable. These people were not meant to die now. I can feel their lifelines protesting against it. The work of the horsemen supersedes even that of the fates. “

I closed my eyes and gulped.

“Then what can we do Lucius?”

Warm breath blew over the back of my neck before I felt a breeze wrapping around me.

“We offer them comfort in their last moments. And we will fight for their justice.”

I opened my eyes to see his beautiful wings moving through the air in a gentle caress.

A little girl, no more than eight, gasped from where she laid prone on the floor. Her little blue eyes were transfixed on the motions, her pustule covered skin reaching out to touch. I felt my heart lurch at the sight. There was such innocent joy on her face and yet I could see the disease was ravaging her small slight body.

Stepping away from the comfortable warmth of Lucius embrace, I crouched beside the ailing girl and swept her fringe from her forehead. I didn’t care about my own health. I only felt my heart breaking as the little girl smiled even as she wheezed and struggled for breath. My heart thudded painfully in my chest as I smiled down at her, taking her little hand in mine.

“Hello sweetheart,” I murmured, shooting a glance over my shoulder at Lucius.

He nodded his head and I knew in that moment he felt my pain, the child’s pain and undoubtedly his own. Each grim sight that we faced and each death that we watched was another reason to fight these horsemen and bring about their destruction.

Her little body pale and limp under the destructive force of the disease and yet she still grinned with a brightness that could rival the sun.

“My name is Savannah,” I offered, taking her little hand in mine.

A sob forced its way up my throat as the little girl opened her mouth to speak and instead coughed and spluttered. My heart broke as I noted the bloody sheen on her lip. My eyes fluttered closed for a moment while my hand squeezed her smaller one for reassurance. I couldn’t quite work out if I was reassuring myself or her.