Chapter 9

Hey guys, sorry for the wait but I've been busy with school and just had time to finally finish this chapter. It's not very long but I hope it shows some insight on my characters. 

Anyways, please vote and leave comments, I'd love to know what you guys think:)

TheEverLasting

                                                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stared out at the water for what felt like forever, debating whether or not I trusted Cayden enough to tell him the one thing that I would never tell anyone, not even those that I trusted most.

I barely knew him, what would make me think I could trust him with anything? But then again, he trusted me enough to tell me his story.

“I’m waiting,” Cayden said suddenly, pulling me out of my thoughts. I knew that he wasn’t going to let me leave without telling him what he wanted to hear, and for some reason it felt like the right thing to do.

“When I was 9 my parents use to have their friends come over almost every night. We didn’t live in the greatest neighborhood, and their friends weren’t very good…”

Flashback

I could hear their shouting and yelling from the other room as I cowered under my sheets just down the hall. I knew they were doing bad things, but mommy always told me not to ask what it was or to tell anyone about it or something bad would happen. I was too afraid to ask what.

“Cindy? Cindy, where are you?” I heard my brother Ace ask as he walked into our shared room. I hesitantly moved the covers down enough so that only my eyes were showing. I couldn’t see him, but I heard the faint click of the door shutting behind him.

“Cindy, it’s okay, I won’t let them near you,” he said as he came and sat down next to me.

“Mommy said to stay in my room and not to come out,” I said in a small voice, trying so hard to make sure that I wouldn’t be heard in the other room.

“Don’t worry, I’m here now, they won’t hurt you,” he said. I sat up in my bed letting the covers fall into my lap, allowing for me to hold onto my teddy as if it were my last link to a sane life.

Ace went to his bed and sat down, pulling out a book that he had to read for school. I sat in my bed trying my hardest to ignore the sounds of drinking and drunken behaviour coming from the other room, knowing what could come later.

Before I knew it, it was two o’clock in the morning and Ace was fast asleep while my parent’s friends were just beginning to leave. I clung onto my teddy a little tighter, as though it could protect me from everything around me.

I could already hear my parents screaming at each other, their voices traveling through the thin walls and tiny apartment, even carrying over the lively sounds from outside. Their footsteps were uneven and they continued to bump into things on their way to the back of the apartment, stopping in front of my bedroom door.

They door burst open and my parents stood in the door frame, drunk out of their minds, a lethal look on both of their faces, and that when I knew what was about to come.

They started screaming at me, saying how awful of a daughter I was, how much of a mistake I was, how their lives would be so much better if they never had had me, all the while not realizing Ace was in the room as well, albeit asleep.

I could feel the tears that were trickling down my face, though I tried to hide them from my parents but to no avail.

I knew that the beating was about to come, and I just braced myself for it since I knew that there was nothing I could do. So I closed my eyes and waited, but nothing ever came, because when I opened my eyes I saw Ace fighting with my parents, yelling, screaming, throwing punches, everything that was suppose to be directed at me he was taking instead.

I didn’t know what to do; all I knew was that I couldn’t let my brother take this from my parents. I tried yelling and screaming but no one listened to me. It was as though I didn’t exist in the fight that was happening around me. I didn’t know what else to do except sit in my bed and cry, because really, what can a 9-year-old girl do when her parents and her 13-year-old brother are fighting in the middle of their room at two o’clock in the morning?

End of Flashback

“The next day he was gone,” I continued my story to Cayden as he stared intently at me. “He left me a note telling me that he had no choice but to leave, but that when he could he’d come back for me. He keeps writing to me, but he hasn’t come back yet. Something about it’s not safe or the right time. But I know one day he will come back.”

Cayden continued to stare at me, not saying a word, and unreadable expression on his face. To be truthfully honest it made me feel a little uncomfortable. It felt kind of awkward just sitting there waiting for a response for him, and even the peaceful atmosphere of the forest and river weren’t taking away from the awkwardness that I felt.

“Anyways,” I said breaking the silence. “I want to fight for my brother, since he’s always been fighting for me.” At that Cayden smiled.

“Alright,” he said. “Than we fight for Ace, the one who fought for you.” I smiled at his words, liking how true they rang to exactly how I felt towards my brother. He’s always been fighting for me, now I finally get to fight for him.

                                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I hope you guys liked this chapter:)

please vote and leave comments:)

TheEverLasting