Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Persais was beside herself; having what she called "a good sulk" in the stables. How could her father do this to her? Threaten her with marriage? Forbid her from training or riding out with the men? Her life was over!

Muttering her brother's favorite oath, she hurled the apple she'd been eating across the stables.

"Oh Heather it's not that bad."

Looking up at her brother who was staring at her over the stall she said, "Not now Falcon, leave me be."

Coming to sit next to her, he tucked an errant lock of hair behind her ear. Wrapping his arm around her he said tenderly, "Ah lass he didn't mean all of it, he won't force you into an unwanted marriage."

Giving him a distinct push she said angrily, "If you've come to make me feel better Falcon, tis not working."

"Give it time," he said. "lass he's right; your actions today are going to have consequences. He's doing this to protect you, if any of them recognized you..."

Persais lowered her head, "I know".

Hearing something in her voice he asked, "Did they?"

Shaking her head she replied, "I don't know Falcon"

He stiffened at her side. "Heather if they recognized you, you need to be careful." Grabbing her chin and forcing her to look at him he said, "Don't do anything foolish Persais; promise me."

Well that's an easy promise to keep, what could she possibly do now? She knew she was feeling sorry for herself but she couldn't help it; she hated being confined. She was likely to go mad before her father allowed her to leave the keep again.

Feeling sick to her stomach, she thought again about the men she'd lost today; all over her damned pride.

Realizing her brother was waiting for a reply. she answered dryly, "Aye Falcon, I'll try"

Laughing at her disgruntled expression he ruffled her hair like he did when they were children.

The corner of her mouth lifted, William always made her feel better. All she'd ever wanted as a child was to be accepted; her mother and sister always looked at her as if she was some kind of an abomination. Just because she didn't like to wear "pretty things" or make a tapestry while listening to gossip? She didn't know, but her brother had always accepted her. He never called her names or made fun of the way she dressed. He accepted her for who she was; not who she was supposed to be.

Only one other boy had ever made her feel special. She had been ten at the time they'd meet; him eight and ten, even older than her brother, but he had looked at her not with laughter in his eyes but kindness. He had sat and listened to her chatter for hours about her foal and all her latest adventures.

He'd even kissed her goodbye; her first and only kiss. She still dreamt about that kiss. The way he'd wrapped his arms around her, the strength and warmth that seemed to radiate off him, the sense of rightness. He'd been gorgeous with his light hair and sea blue eyes. The only boy she'd ever been attracted too.

"Are you coming to the evening meal?"

Snapped back to reality she startled at her brothers voice. "No, I'm sorry Falcon but I don't think I could eat right now."

"Alright," he said, giving her a kiss on the head, "get some sleep lass. I'll see you in the morning."

Persais watched him walk away. What was she going to do?

She could leave; sometime in Ireland would do her good. She needed more experience, and learning how to control her temper wouldn't hurt either. If she left, Rouge would have to stay behind. She buried her face in her hands. How could she leave? Her family was going to need her with the treat of the MacLeod's looming. But her father didn't trust in her ability; would he let her fight? After today it was doubtful. Damn. There was no way she could sit behind the castle walls and wait for the outcome like some delicate maid; she was a fighter! Oh who was she kidding? How was she going to prove herself to her father? And Will.... She couldn't disappoint him again.

She sat there contemplating her decision half the night. At a few hours before dawn, her mind was made up.

Sneaking out of the bolthole near the east tower wall, Persais tried to calm her frantically beating heart. If she was going to do this, she needed to move fast. There was at least a hundred yards between the wall and the forest. If her timing was right, the changing of guard duty would lower her chances of discovery tremendously. Hearing the order go out to switch posts, she took off at a dead run. Almost there...... Yes! She's made it to the cover of the trees. Looking back one last time; she prayed her family would find it in their hearts to forgive her for this.