Chapter 16 Horizons

Annalise stood with a stony face beside her sister as they stood on the raised ground, looking out into the courtyard below. Their father stood to the side, Norrington beside him, the two men unaware of the turmoil behind the dark-haired woman's expressionless face.

Only Elizabeth knew, and she held her sister's hand surreptitiously, squeezing it in sympathy as they watched Jack being led onto the gallows while Annalise's other hand clutched at the bird pendant on her neck.

It was an almost cruelly beautiful day as Jack was placed before the noose, with the sun shining brightly in the blue sky high above as the sombre drumbeats began.

To be honest, to Annalise, it felt a little like it was mocking her as she was forced to watch the man she loved about to hang after all he'd done for them... well, she was forced to watch him hang.

Jack himself was looking more muted than Annalise had seen him, and she clenched her hand around her sister's as the official opened his scroll and began to read the proclamation that would end with Jack's death.

"Jack Sparrow, be it known that you have-"

Annalise saw Jack sigh and roll his eyes, mumbling something and she didn't know if she wanted to laugh or cry. Was this really the time to be petulant about his title as Captain?

"-For your willful commission of crimes," the official continued, "against the crown. Said crimes being numerous in quantity and sinister in nature, the most egregious of these to be cited herewith – piracy, smuggling..."

Annalise's jaw had clenched, and Elizabeth squeezed her sister's hand as she murmured in agreement: "This is wrong."

Their father heard her, and he stated firmly: "Commodore Norrington is bound by the law."

Elizabeth looked over sharply, while Annalise bit her lip, but their father remained firm as he added: "As are we all."

Annalise shook her head in silent disagreement, but remained silent, her eyes on Jack the entire time as the official continued to list: "-Impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the Church of England, sailing under false colors, arson, kidnapping, looting, poaching, brigandage, pilfering, depravity, depredation, and general lawlessness."

Annalise chewed her lip, her heart stuttering as the official began to finish: "And for these crimes you have been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. May God have mercy on your soul."

Suddenly, a familiar walked up before them, and Annalise glanced down briefly to see with surprise that it was Will. Dressed smartly, as the occasion called for, with a red cape fastened to his shoulders and a feathered hat on his neat curls, Will greeted them: "Governor Swann. Commodore. Annalise."

Annalise nodded once back in greeting before glancing back to Jack, and Will's eyes moved to the fair-haired twin.

"Elizabeth."

Elizabeth blinked while Annalise also looked back down at Will, surprised.

He went on firmly: "I should have told you every day from the moment I met you."

Elizabeth frowned slightly, questioningly, and Will stated bluntly: "I love you."

And after flooring the elder Miss Swann, Will turned, and started to walk away. Elizabeth gaped after him while their father scoffed, annoyed, and Annalise frowned.

'What is Will thinking?' She wondered, just as the drumroll began and the noose was placed around Jack's neck.

Her eyes snapped up, wide and horrified, when suddenly Elizabeth's hand tugged on hers urgently.