Chapter 15 Goodbyes

Annalise sat on her hunches, staring at a giant pile of treasure. The glittering gold and sparkling jewels should have been beautiful but she found she couldn't care for any of it. All she could think about was the blood that had been spilt, whether tonight or in the past, over greed for the glittering bounty laid before her.

Jack, being Jack, had no such qualms, and he was busy rooting about amongst the piles of treasure once more as he picked out whatever he wanted to keep. Elizabeth stood by the chest, unmoving, while Will wondered about uncertainly, sending uneasy glances at Elizabeth every so often.

A particularly loud clang brought Annalise's eyes back to Jack, and she sighed as she watched him toss another golden statue aside in favour of an intricate diamond necklace.

He appeared to have heard her and glanced over, the enormous crown tilting precariously on his head as he cocked his head in her direction. Annalise averted her eyes, but the sound of jingling jewels and the soft clinking of gold coins being stepped on alerted her to Jack's approach.

"What's the matter, Anna? You should be celebrating." Jack mused, settling down beside Annalise.

"I don't really think it's a cause to celebrate." She answered, staring into space without really seeing anything. "So many people had to die over this treasure."

Jack simply shrugged, and she noted a little dryly: "Though clearly you don't have such qualms."

Jack smirked slightly, and pointed to himself as he reminded her: "Pirate."

Her lips quirked into a small smile despite herself, and Annalise glanced at Jack in amusement.

"Is that your excuse for everything?" She teased, and Jack grinned.

"The bright side of living on this side of the law, love," Jack said lightly, "is that anything can seem acceptable. Because everything is unacceptable."

"Even having a good heart?" Annalise queried, glancing slyly at Jack.

His grin turned wry at that, but Jack mused easily: "Aye. Even that. Though it may shave your life by years, rather than saving it."

Annalise laughed slightly, before a noise from the other side of the cave had them both glancing over just in time to see Elizabeth striding away from Will and towards them. Annalise frowned as she stood up, while Jack raised a brow as he noted the guilty and almost regretful look on Will's face.

"Lizzy?" Annalise asked softly, meeting her sister halfway.

Elizabeth turned to her sister, her face closed off but her eyes gave her away – her hurt pooled in her eyes, and Annalise hugged her while Jack swaggered over to Will.

He could easily guess what had been said between the couple, and Jack stated bluntly to the boy: "If you were waiting for the opportune moment...that was it."

Will glanced at him, his eyes sad as any puppy's, but Jack turned his back on him as he added while striding off: "Now, if you'll be so kind, I'd be much obliged if you'd drop me off by my ship."

Annalise's heart dropped as she remembered, and the blood left her face as quickly as a pirate switched sides.

'Please, please, say they returned.' Annalise prayed.

***********

The mood was dismal as Will rowed them slowly back to the Dauntless. Annalise's head hung down, while Will's shoulders slumped dejectedly. Jack, for his part, simply accepted the truth with resignation, though it didn't make it any easier for the others.