Chapter 4 Attack

Annalise gasped as the sounds of cannon fire sounded from the bay, and she ran out onto her balcony to stare out with wide eyes as the town far below caught on fire and screams could be heard even from where she stood at her window. She glanced across to see Elizabeth standing at her balcony too, staring out into the chaos below with similar horror.

The older twin glanced across and met eyes with her sister, before they both looked down as they heard a riot coming closer. Their eyes widened even more as they saw a group of the attackers, probably pirates though why they were here was anyone's guess, breaking through the gates to their mansion.

Without needing to exchange words or looks, the two turned and both ran back into the house and across the landing to meet each other before rushing towards the stairs. Annalise could hear a loud, insistent knocking on the door, and she hastened to run faster, overtaking her sister as they headed around the corner of the steps and onto the flight leading to the first floor, just as their butler moved to open the door.

"No!" Annalise cried, while Elizabeth shouted in warning: "Don't!"

They both paused in horror as the butler opened the door at the same moment they called out, and then screamed as there was a bang and the lead pirate shot the butler in the head. Annalise watched in horror as the pirates swarmed in, stepping over the butler and storming the mansion, before she saw two pirates pointing at her and her sister.

"Up there!" The shorter one cried, and Annalise grabbed her sister's arm, pulling her as she turned and raced back up the stairs.

Elizabeth ran with her as they dashed back up the stairs, running for Elizabeth's room, which was closer. Annalise raced inside while Elizabeth hurriedly locked the door to her outer rooms behind them, before jumping as Annalise shrieked when someone grabbed her, with a cry of: "Miss Swann!"

They both relaxed slightly as they realized it was only Estrella, Elizabeth's personal maid, when Estrella said urgently to the two girls: "They've come to kidnap you."

"What?" Elizabeth asked, confused, and Estrella explained fearfully: "You're the Governor's daughters."

Their eyes widened as they realized Estrella could be right, before all three flinched as there was a shout outside before someone began banging furiously on the door.

Elizabeth glanced back in alarm, while Annalise turned to Estrella firmly and ordered: "They haven't seen you yet. Hide, and the first chance you get, run, get help."

"Head to the fort." Elizabeth advised, before they all jumped again as the door shook and threatened to break. "Quickly!"

Estrella hid herself behind the room divider while the twins turned and ran across to the other side of the room, dashing into Elizabeth's bed chamber just as the door broke down behind them. Annalise ran for the fireplace, grabbing the poker, while Elizabeth dashed to her bed and grabbed her bed warmer.

Annalise glanced at her sister in surprise as Elizabeth hurried to join her sister by the door once more, impressed at her quick thinking, before they tensed, waiting behind the doorway.

The second the first pirate ran up, Elizabeth swung the bed warmer around, whacking the man in the face and making him reel in pain. Annalise prayed Estrella got away while Elizabeth swung at the second man, but he was more prepared and grabbed the warmer.

"Gotcha!" He said, pleased as he maneuvered to pin the two girls behind the door, overpowering them.

They struggled, and Annalise gasped: "Lizzy, ashes!"

The pirate frowned but Elizabeth understood at once and without a second's hesitation she opened the bed warmer, dropping the hot ashes inside right onto the pirate's head.