Chapter 20: More Bargains

Cutler Beckett walked into his study late that evening, intending to clear up for the night. However, he paused just inside the doorway as his gaze landed on his desk; specifically, at the small chest that sat on the far corner of the desk.

The chest, which contained the pardon papers he was intending to offer to Jack Sparrow and which he'd shown Will Turner before the young man's departure, sat open when Beckett knew he'd kept it firmly shut. And the pardon letters were nowhere to be seen.

Beckett walked slowly into his study.

There were only two people who had seen the letters, and only five whom Beckett suspected of knowing of the letters' existence. One he trusted above even his own parents; the other he knew had already left Port Royal. That left three, but...

"No doubt you have discovered that loyalty is no longer the currency of the realm, as your father believes." Beckett said loudly without looking back.

He clicked the small chest shut once more while behind him, the Swann sisters stepped out of the dark shadows of the study.

"Then what is?" The elder sister asked, and Beckett turned to face the two ladies as he answered: "I'm afraid currency is the currency of the realm."

The twin sisters each walked with their hands clasped behind their backs, posture and expressions identical as they took slow, measured steps towards Beckett.

"I expect then that we can come to some sort of understanding." Elizabeth noted calmly. "We're here to negotiate."

Beckett raised a brow, a small almost condescending smile on his lips as he answered lazily: "I'm listening."

Annalise suddenly pulled one arm forward; and Beckett stopped walking instantly as the brunette woman cocked the pistol expertly aimed at his forehead.

"I'm listening intently." He corrected, and Annalise gave a mirthless smile.

"Good." She replied.

Beckett eyed her for a moment before returning his gaze to the blonde sister as Elizabeth held up the pardon papers she and her sister had pilfered.

"These Letters of Marque, they are signed by the King?" She checked, her tone almost cold it was so polite.

Again, Beckett lifted his brow just slightly as he answered: "Yes, and they're not valid until they bear my signature and my seal."

"Or else we would not still be here." Annalise noted just as calmly and Beckett's eyes narrowed.

Neither side backed down and Elizabeth met Beckett's eyes defiantly as she began in the same polite but distinctly cool voice: "You sent Will to get you the compass and buy Jack Sparrow; it will do you no good."

Beckett arched a brow again, but his tone was as cool as Elizabeth's as he prodded: "Do explain."

"My sister and I have been to the Isla de Muerta, we have seen the treasure." Elizabeth informed Beckett with a slight nod at Annalise, who kept her pistol aimed firmly at Beckett's forehead. "There is something you need to know."

"Ah, I see." Beckett realized as he looked from Elizabeth to Annalise. "You think the compass leads only to the Isla de Muerta and so you hope to save me from an evil fate."

Both sisters frowned just slightly while Beckett smirked slightly as he said with a hint of sarcasm: "But you mustn't worry."

The man turned away from the sisters, ignoring Annalise's gun, and he walked to the world map painted on the wall of his study.

"I care not for cursed Aztec gold; my desires are not so provincial." Beckett explained. "There's more than one chest of value in these waters."

He turned back to the sisters as he added with definite sarcasm in his voice: "So perhaps you may wish to enhance your offer."