Chapter 21: Tortuga Again

Everyone in the small hut paused and stared at Tia Dalma after she made her strange request.

Will and the crew were looking at her oddly again, wondering why on earth she suddenly wanted to see Jack's hand, but Jack knew. And he could see from Tia's gleaming eyes as she stared at him and him alone that she already knew what she would find on his left palm.

But even then, Jack Sparrow hoped and he casually held out his right hand for Tia to see.

The woman who was much wiser than she initially might appear as simply cocked a brow at him, and Jack sighed. But he obliged and thrust out his left hand; though not without some small petulance.

Tia got up from her place beside Will at the table and she stalked over to where Jack stood on one side of the room. Taking his hand in both her own, the witch-like woman unwrapped Jack's bandages to reveal the black spot on Jack's palm to the entire room.

"The black spot!" Gibbs gasped in fear. He quickly dusted himself off and spun on the spot, before spitting on the floor. ""The black spot.

Pintel and Ragetti quickly followed Gibbs's lead, mimicking the same superstitious ritual Gibbs had done, and Jack said loudly and jokingly: "My eyesight's as good as ever, just so you know."

Will was frowning again in confusion, obviously not knowing what the black spot meant. Lucky wimp.

Tia meanwhile narrowed her eyes before she abruptly turned and walked out of the room, muttering as she disappeared through the curtains in the corner of the hut once more.

She rummaged about amongst her things in the other room for a short moment before walking back into the hut carrying a large jar filled with what looked like sand.

"Davy Jones cannot make port." Tia explained to Jack as she walked back towards the pirate captain. "Cannot step on land but once every ten years. Land is where you will be safe, Jack Sparrow, and so you will carry land with you."

She held out the jar to Jack, who took it less than enthusiastically.

There was silence as Jack looked from the jar back to Tia, obvious disappointment and incredulity on his face.

"Dirt." He stated. "This is a jar of dirt."

Tia raised a brow just slightly as she heard the skepticism in his tone but she answered seriously: "Yes."

Jack paused and he thought about what to say without offending Tia, before he asked carefully: "Is the... jar of dirt going to help?"

Tia's brow rose higher and she said flatly: "If you don't want it, give it back."

"No." Jack said instantly, clasping the jar closer to his chest in an almost protective gesture. After all, no pirate liked to give back what was theirs whether they stole it or it was given to them.

Tia probably knew it and had expected his reaction, because there was just a hint of smugness and exasperation as she answered: "Then it helps."

Jack pursed his lips but continued to clutch the jar against his chest especially as he saw Pintel eyeing the jar curiously.

Will finally drew Tia's attention back to himself as he noted: "It seems... we have a need to find the Flying Dutchman."

Tia smiled before she picked up a collection of what appeared to be random items gathered in a bowl near her table.

"A touch..." She murmured before dropping the items in her hand onto the table and letting them splay out in a strange pattern that oddly resembled a map.