Chapter 19

The traffic was disgusting.

Dead stop, stay in the same spot for five minutes, could get Taco Bell while in park and the traffic still wouldn't move kind of traffic. Ew.

Courtney drove, and Henley was next to her in the passengers seat. I listened to them talk about clothes, movies, and whatnot. Behind them in the middle was Merritt. He just listened in to the conversation, and chimed in whenever he felt it necessary. 

And Daniel and I sat in the back. We didn't talk, or communicate, really. I leaned on his side, and my eyes were closed and resting, while he had his arm wrapped around me, and his face in my hair.

It was incredibly peaceful, just like before we got to the top of the FBI's Most Wanted List and on the top of Rhode's personal Hit List. 

We got to the are where Jack said he'd meet us at around midnight. "Babe," Daniel said, nudging me. "It's time. We're here."

I opened my eyes, and started getting up. We exited the car, pulled out flashlights, and walked down the sidewalk which led us the gate. The old, bronze gate was closed, with a chain and padlock. Henley pulled on the chain, as if she had superhuman strength and could tear the chain. "It's locked," she grumbled.

Then a familiar voice rang out.

"Weren't you listening?"

We looked past the gate to see a man wearing all black walking towards us with a large smile plastered on his face. Jack.

"Nothing's ever locked," he said, as he pulled on the chain, and it came clean off of the doors.

Henley applauded him. "Well done, Mr. Wilder! Good work," she complimented.

"You're a big boy now, Jack," Merritt said, as he walked through the gates and patted him on the shoulder.

I approached him. "Good job, kid," I said, ruffing his hair between my fingers.

"Hey," he grumbled, as he smoothed it down. I rolled my eyes, and walked past him. 

Courtney rushed towards him, and threw her arms around Jack's neck. I heard them whisper to each other, and I heard him repeatedly whisper "I'm so sorry." I smiled at the sight, and put one of my hands in my pocket. "Guys, come on," I said, as we started walking through the gate and into the park. Daniel linked his arm through mine, and we walked through the park. "Does anyone actually know where the Lionel Shrike tree is?" I asked.

Dead silence.

"No, okay. So, we'll aimlessly wander until we find it." 

"Sounds like a plan to me," Merritt said. "We have until two to find it?"

"Too bad we don't have alcohol," Henley murmured. "Make the time go faster."

"Isn't that the truth," Courtney responded.

I nodded. "Good thing we'll be headed to my old place after this."

"Hopefully James and Reid didn't drink everything."

"In three days?"

"Who knows? They do like their liquor."

Daniel laughed. "Remember when they were over that week before our first show?"

I laughed at the thought. "And I had to drive them home because their BAC level was twice the legal limit and come back in an Uber?"

"And the Uber driver was on the FBI's most wanted list?" Henley asked.

"Yeah, yeah I remember it."

We aimlessly walked for another hour or so, until we found Bethesda fountain. "Honestly, what the hell?" I grumbled.