CALEB'S STORY - CHAPTER 6

The next few minutes were a blurr. At first no one did anything then soldier wolf started shouting orders at us. He ordered a nearby native to take me home. I couldn't even think. Swallow was dead, she is dead. It doesn't even feel real. In no time we were back to my hut. I saw Pa and walked up to him. He could tell I was crying but he didn't ask anything about that.

"Why were you hanging out with those indians! I told you to never go near those, those...those savages!" He yelled at me but I was still hung up on the idea that Swallow was dead. "Listen you are to never go near any of them again! I already ordered the militia to take care of them all. I don't need you to be anywhere near the line of fire." At this moment I snapped out and I had a memory. My dad's face looking like he was stressed, it was the militia. The sneaking around, it was the militia. All this time he wanted to kill them and now he killed swallow, my only friend. It possibly could have been more than friends, but she is gone now.

I looked at my dad and yelled at him. "You can not tell me what to do! You have no right to decide who I can be with! You were the one that killed swallow, she was my only friend and you killed her. I will never forgive you, ever." I stopped to breathe and that's when I lost it, I started to bawl. All my emotions coming up from a total of three days. It was only three days but it felt like I knew her forever. But she is gone because my dad had her killed.

Mary came out and looked at Pa then to me, but her face revealed something else. She knew. "How could you do it too! You both are terrible people!" I ran out to the woods. I sat down on a log and started to cry. I remembered that time when I first saw swallow, and now she's gone. I sat there for about a half hour, when I heard an indian cry off into the distance. I stood up and walked over to the sound.

I stood behind a tree and watched as Akecheta and soldier wolf attack another pioneer. They were shooting after him but he escaped. They stopped shooting and let him go. Several natives lay dead upon the ground. They went back to where their dead lay. They picked them up and started walking towards the house. Suddenly a gunshot rang out. Pa was shootin at 'em. The Indians let out a war cry and charged towards the hut. When they got there they dismounted their horses and started circling the house looking for a way in.

After a few minutes one found the door. He took out his tomahawk and tried breaking it down. When that failed he called to the others. They came and started helping. They were just about to break down the door. I heard my little sisters screaming. I was about to run out and tell them to stop, but before I could, a bugle sounded in the distance. I turned and saw about 25 armed militiamen, marching straight for the house. The commander gave the order to stop. The natives ran and mounted their horses. The last thing I remember is seeing the Indians charging towards the natives and the commander giving his men the order to fire then I blacked out.