CALEB'S STORY - CHAPTER 4

Off in the distance I heard a faint bark. Could it be her? Maybe it was a wolf attacking. I heard it again. It sounded more like a dog. There could be more settlers on the other side of the clearing. Just as I was thinking about all this, the one with the feathers spoke.

"We must go." He turned to me. And I knew he didn't want me to go. He said something to the other in a different language, then they started off towards the woods.

"Wait for me, I wanna come too!" I ran up with them but they were fast. We ran past trees for about a minute. When I was getting tired, the indian girl came out onto the path. She ran directly into the one without the feathers and fell over. I laughed quietly. She then started speaking really fast and I couldn't understand her. "What is she saying?" I really wanted to know. They didn't answer me. I was glad to see her again but I also wanted to know what happened. She finally noticed me and smiled.

They spoke again and I really wished they let me know what was going on. They started up again, going the way the indian girl came from. "Wait for me!" I ran after them and in a few minutes we came to a clearing. It had a conestoga wagon in the middle with an ox around it. I stepped back, standing behind a large tree. If it is a settler like me, I don't want him to see me. I watched from behind wondering what was going to happen. The one with the feathers turned to me and asked if I've seen the wagon before.

The last time I saw a wagon like that was when pa came back from town. That was more than three weeks ago. "I ain't never seen that there wagon before. Me and Pa came here on foot."

"Very well. Akecheta come with me, we shall go and look for clues of what this wagons story is. Caleb you stay here with Meso'ke." Then he turned to the indian girl, Meso'ke, and said something in their language. I figured out the other indian's name is Akecheta and the indian girl is named Meso'ke. I still don't know about the one with the feathers. I turned to Meso'ke forgetting she didn't speak English.

"Do you know what is happening?" I asked and when she didn't answer, I knew she couldn't speak english. It was gonna be hard to figure out what is going on. She then nodded and smiled at me. I wonder if she was just being nice or actually understood me. I gave her a thumbs up and sat down. I put my back against the tree and watched the clouds. I looked up at her. She has these adventurous sparkle in her eyes. Even though I can't communicate with her, I can tell we have a strong friendship.

She sat down next to me and I continued to watch her, trying to understand what she was trying to say. She smiled and used both of her hands to make a heart. She spoke but I still could not understand. My eyes went huge, wondering what was happening. I only just met her. Was she saying she had feelings for me? I stood up real fast and gave her a look. I just wanted to be friends. She pointed to herself then at me. She was smiling the biggest I've ever seen. I felt bad but I didn't like her like that and if I stayed I wouldn't be able to explain. I started running away. Away from the mysterious wagon. Away from Meso'ke. Away from my feelings.