CALEB'S STORY - CHAPTER 2

I woke up thinking about the indian girl I met last night. I told pa that I found the corn in the woods, when he asked where I got it. Instead of being joyful for food, he got angry. His face turned to stone, but his eyes held anger mixed with fear. He told me that Indians might be nearby and I better stay away from them. God knows what they could do.

I wanted to tell him about the girl but I knew he would tell me that it could have been poisoned or that she could've killed me. I stayed quiet the rest of the night, but now my mind is running. She gave me food when she could've killed me. I don't care what pa says, she is kind.

I got out of the teepee and ran towards the woods, but pa was already awake. He jumped up and grabbed my arm. I screamed not realizing it was him. He looked down at me, anger blazing in his eyes. I didn't look up at him yet, knowing he was gonna scold me.

"Where you going boy?" He was still holding on to me, his grip getting stronger. I dared a glance at him, and I was surprised. He didn't look angry he looked worried. "Answer me son."

"I was going to find some...uh...food?" I didn't want to tell him the truth but when I try to lie, it does not sound believable. My voice was low but it squeaked multiple times. It sounded more like a question then an answer. I knew he wouldn't believe me. I looked back at him and he was looking down at me skeptical. He shook his head disappointed. I didn't know what i did wrong. It wasn't because i lied, but what was it then?

"Pa, whats wrong?" I asked him. He shook his head no, but I could tell something was wrong. He usually has that face when he is with the militias. At first, I didn't understand but then it hit me. My birthday is in a couple of weeks, I will turn 12. When I turn 12, I will be able to join the military. It makes perfect sense. My dad will send me to the militias, I won't come back because boys like me don't survive. I'm not strong enough, fast enough, or smart enough. He finally spoke.

"Nothin's wrong son, it just here you are waking up early in the mornin finding some grub, when i'm supposed to be feeding ya'll. It's my job to take care of your ma, and elizabeth and sarah. You still have to learn how to take care of yourself, but. Nothing's wrong, i guess i'm just proud, you may go."

He never gave me any praise. All my life I have been trying to prove myself to him. Now here we are, in the Grand Tetons, and he said he was proud of me. I thanked him and ran towards the woods. Toward the mysterious indian girl.