Chapter 4

I looked out of the car, tapping my foot impatiently against the floor of the car.

"Are you alright?" Kendall's hand met mine, I turned around to face him.

"I'm fine, just.. unsure." I looked back out at the old house. "Just to think she is just across that yard."

"Look, your aunt did us a favor of bringing her here, might as well walk in. We know he's not in there."

I nodded, "Please, let me go in there first. I'll let you know when you can come in."

"I agree."

"I'm sorry." I said, his eyebrows raised.

"For what?" He asked.

"This situation," I explained. "Trust me, once she gets to know you, she'll love you." I pressed my hand against his cheek, my thumb moving back and forth against his skin.

He pressed his hand on top of mine, turning his head to kiss my palm. "Don't worry about me. Now, go. She must be waiting for you."

I stepped out of the car and slammed the door shut. Crossing the yard in a few strides, I walked up to the door and gently knocked on it. I turned back to the car, and Kendall put two thumbs up, I smiled and turned around.

I did not hear the door open, but the familiar hallway behind the woman looked exactly how it was when I was only eight years old. "Christina?" She asked. "Is that really you?"

"Hi aunt Mel!" Just then she threw herself at me, hugging me while nearly taking out all the air I had in my lungs.

"Oh Christina, you've grown so much!" She pulled back, still holding on to my wrists, taking a good look at me. "I see you're not four feet and two inches anymore! Is your boyfriend in the car?" She asked looking beyond my shoulder.

"About that-"

She interrupted me, "Bring him in, your mom is inside, I haven't told her yet but if you want me to tell her you're here."

"Aunt Mel, there's something I need to tell you about my father.. I didn't get to tell you over the phone because I thought it would be more appropriate in person.."

"I know about your father, and what he did to my sister.." She sighed. "She just told me about the incident a couple of weeks ago before you knocked on the door. She's really depressed."

"Did she tell you about the plan to get her out of there?" I asked.

She nodded, "And about your boyfriend too. Although from what you told me over the phone, he really is a nice boy." Melissa smiled. "Come on in, she's waiting in the living room."

I stepped inside, and walked down the hallway, Melissa following behind. I turned to the dark-green colored room, filled with pictures on the west wall. My mother was sitting down on the brown couch,

"Mom?" I spoke, she looked up. Immediately stood up and ran towards me.

"Sweetheart, oh sweetheart I am so sorry!" She held my face between her hands. "I should have stopped him after that first punch."

"Mom, forget about that." I winced, trying to forget the unpleasant memory.

"Sweetie.."

"We need to get you out of here." I said.

"About that, Chris." Melissa sighed. "I don't think it's a good idea for her to leave with you."

"Why not?" My mother and I said simultaneously.

"First, you're leaving for college next week. I think she's better off here with me until you get back."

"Melissa and I were talking about it and I don't want to bring your father to you. He can't find you."

I sighed. "You're telling me you want to stay here?" My mother nodded.

"You didn't tell me you were going to college.." She stated.

"Kendall is making me go." At that moment both Melissa and my mother had complete opposite reactions.

"He's such a nice boy." My aunt cheered.

"No, he is not." My mother growled.

"Mom, just give him a chance." I begged.

"He's a criminal, Christina! Don't you see his tattoos!?"

"Just because he has tattoos doesn't mean he is a criminal." My aunt took my side.

"Melissa, don't give help her. He's not for her."

"Give him a chance, I bet he is really nice." My aunt walked over to the door.

"Mom, just once chance. You just be nice to him and get to know him. If you hate him still then I won't let him near you." I said.

"And he'll stay out of your life?" She asked.

"I can't do that." I answered. She frowned. "He makes me happy, mom! Just please!"

"Alright." She sighed. Melissa opened the door and my knight in shining armor stood at the door.