Thirteen: Day Three, Poor Arthur

Silence fell after Vivi and Mystery (reluctantly) left. Arthur sat in a dark corner of his bedroom, his arms wrapped around his knees, which were pressed to his chest, and sobbed all night long.

This was the day before his birthday. He was supposed to be cheerful. He was going to be 23 years old. He was going to celebrate his birthday with his family and friends. He was going to have fun.

No, it was the opposite. It was the day before his death day. He was supposed to be sobbing. He was going to die at 23. His friends and family would wonder where he was and mourn over him. Lewis was finally going to be happy.

This was why he was going along with this, right? Just so Lewis could be happy to get his revenge? Arthur knew he deserved this...but, did he really? Pushing Lewis off of a cliff wasn't his fault, he's tried over and over to make himself believe it. That demon was the reason his left arm was gone. That demon was the reason his best friend hated him.

That demon...

Who was that demon? Why did it feed on his emotions? Why did it want to kill Lewis? What if it didn't want to kill Lewis...maybe it wanted to kill him!

It didn't matter now. He couldn't go after it now. It was too late. He was a coward and he'd need Vivi and Mystery to tag along with him. He couldn't drag them into this now. It was practically over now.

Arthur grabbed a pen and two pieces of paper and started writing words.

~~~

Lewis sat in his mansion's living room staring at his golden heart locket that served as his anchor to this world. He sighed, a sad look in his eyes as he opened it to see his favorite picture of him and his girlfriend.

"Why are you so sad, Lewis?" he asked himself. "Tomorrow, you'll make your murderer pay for what he did to you. He took you away from your friends...the ones you called family."

"Master?" called Aria shyly.

"What is it, Aria? Can't you see I'm sulking in peace here?" Lewis slightly growled.

"My apologies, Master, but...I came to talk to you about Art-"

"Don't try to talk me out of this again, Aria," Lewis interrupted. "Nothing's going to change my mind."

"But Master-"

"There are no-"

"WOULD YOU LISTEN TO ME FOR ONE SECOND!!!" Aria screamed aggravated.

Lewis froze in shock. The other Deadbeats peeked around the corner. Aria frowned and stood her ground...floated her air?...whatever.

"Oh, she's gonna get it from Master," whispered Tempo.

"I kinda feel bad for her," commented Reed.

"I'm just glad it's not me," bragged Lyra.

"What is she doing?" Solo asked.

"She's ruining Arthur's chance at surviving," Key answered.

Lewis stood from his seat, towering over the small Deadbeat. An angry look crossed his skull, his magenta irises glowing angrily. Aria gulped, but floated up to Lewis' height.

"ARTHUR DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!!" Aria yelled. "I SWEAR IT! HE WAS POSSESSED!!"

"How. Dare. You. TALK TO ME THAT WAY!" Lewis raged, his hair turning to magenta flames. "Stop lying! Stop all of this 'Arthur's innocent' crap!"

"THE ONLY REASON YOU WON'T ACCEPT IT IS BECAUSE YOU'RE AFRAID YOU'RE WRONG!! DEEP DOWN YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!!!"

"Aria, that's enough! Quit it already! It doesn't matter, it's too late!"

"NO! NO! I'M GONNA MAKE YOU BELIEVE THAT IT WASN'T HIS FAULT!!"

"YOU CAN'T, ARIA!!" Lewis screamed angrily. "GET OUT OF HERE, ARIA!! BEFORE SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS TO YOU!!!"

"Aria, come on," Solo pleaded.

"Master's really upset," Reed shook.

"Get out of there, Aria," Key cried.

Aria looked into Lewis' cold, yet flaming eyes.

"LEAVE!" Lewis roared.

There was no hope for him, so why was she trying so hard to protect Arthur? Surprisingly, she started crying. Not because Lewis was yelling at her, but because she failed Arthur, her friend.

"I'm...I'm sorry, Arthur...I failed you, my friend..." Aria cried and flew off to what everyone assumed would be her room.

"Traitor," Lewis spat out before sitting back down on his couch. "What are you five looking at?"

The remaining Deadbeats scattered around in fear of being a part of Lewis' ragefest.

In the midst of all of this, no one noticed Lewis' missing heart locket...

~~~

Vivi and Mystery sat on the blue couch in her living room. The dog sat in Vivi's lap, steadily being pet by the bluenette.

"What's his problem?" Vivi mumbled. "Why would Arthur want to be alone on the night before his birthday?"

Mystery whimpered, he missed his owner. He was worried about him. These last few days have been weird for him.

"Hmm...do you think...nah," Vivi sighed, wondering what was wrong with her best friend.

Suddenly, the two of them felt a chill. Mystery growled, protectively covering Vivi.

"What's wrong, Mystery?" Vivi asked worried.

"Um...you're Vivi, right?" asked a shy voice.

"Yeah, but who are...a ghost!!!!"

Mystery growled more threateningly.

"No, please! You have to listen to me before he suspects that I'm gone! My name's Aria and I'm one of Lewis' Deadbeats-"

"Whoa whoa whoa...who's Lewis?!" Vivi interrupted abruptly. "Why are you talking to me? What's going-"

"Oh...right, darn it, Lewis! Okay, I know we just met, but you have to trust me, okay?" Aria panicked.

"O-okay?"

"Remember that mansion you and Arthur found?"

"Yeah, and that big ghost guy almost killed us," Vivi said.

"That big guy...he's Lewis."

"Lewis...do I know him?" Vivi looked down at Mystery, who just whined.

"He wiped your memory of what happened in those caves. I can show you what happened, but you have to promise to not judge, okay?"

"A-Alright."

"Be prepared, for a story of mystery, love, and jealousy..."

With that, Aria revealed the golden heart locket that belonged to Lewis and opened it.

~~~

And the plot thickens! I'll see you Tuesday.