Lucille Ophelia

“And how are we this morning, little one?” Tom asks, lifting the small baby from her crib, her gurgling sounds assuring him that she was quite glad he was there to take her. He nestles her small body against his warm chest and begins the morning routine he’d become accustomed to in the past few weeks.

It was his turn today, he’d reminded himself as he was combing through his wet hair that morning. Joanna was sleeping peacefully as he tiptoed out of their bedroom, down the hall to the baby’s room.

He smiles as he lays her on the changing table, her little feet kicking at the empty air and her small hands grasping for anything it could grab onto. He loves watching her large eyes shift around the room, searching for light and patterns that only babies would find the beauty in.

Tom gently begins pulling off her onesie, the flimsy fabric soft in his rough hands.

“And what did you have planned today?” He asks her, and she replies with an open mouth, her eyes still roaming the room.

“Well that sounds absolutely marvelous,” he states, matter-of-factly, “I’d very much like to join you, if you wouldn’t mind too terribly-”

He always seemed to speak much more properly when he teased her.

With her onesie off, he pulls off her tiny socks, then reaches for a new diaper in a drawer underneath the table.

“Let’s get this icky nappy off you, darling,” he makes a face of disgust on the word ‘icky,’ and he knows that if she were a bit older, she would’ve giggled.

How he waits for that sound to escape her- how he yearns for a time when she somewhat understands what he says. When they won’t only be soft sounds that she finds comfort in hearing.

But then again, he’s very glad she’s not to that point. He knows he shouldn’t wish away this stage of her life, because it is so very beautiful to watch.

With a fresh diaper on her little bottom, his socked feet cross the room to the dresser where her clothes are kept. He chooses at random, not feeling that any held any precedence over the other. What he ends up dressing her in is pink, a color that made her look even smaller.

“And there we have it,” he grins, running his long fingers across her tiny belly. He hears her breathe in much deeper, and he knows that she will be so very ticklish later on.

“Little Lucy, I think it’s time we go and get breakfast,” he lifts her back to his chest, holding her a bit higher on his shoulder, “Off to the kitchen!”

~~

My darlings, I want to thank you so much for your continued support throughout the time I've spent writing this story. I want to thank you for the beautiful reviews and comments you have all left me.

You. Guys. Rock.

I never ever thought I'd get this many reads on this story. Like- I seriously didn't think it'd get more than like, 40,000 views in the entirety of its time on the internet. So, you can imagine my excitement when I found that it had passed 100,000 reads, and then eventually 200,000- and now, we're almost to 300,000. I really can't thank you enough.

Thank you guys for supporting me, and talking with me, and being patient for chapters!

If you've got any questions about future things, don't hesitate to drop me a message! And I would love to hear from you!

Please don't forget to leave a review darlings, I do so love them ;D