::Chapter 1:: Lost

"Get off your lazy butt, it's your turn for watch."

Kit let out a slight groan, rolling over so that he was lying down on his front. Burying his face into the dirt, part of him wondering if he stayed here. Whether or not the floating voice would leave him alone, assuming him dead.

If only life was that easy. He jerked awake when he realised who had spoken. That coupled with the the high likelihood that she would resort to less then satisfying methods to raise him, he pulled himself to his feet. Looking around, he eyed her with caution. Raising his hands in a surrender gesture.

"Fine, fine. Val, I'm up! Unarm yourself."

Looking distinctly disappointed, she emptied the bottle she had readied to dump over his head, and gestured to the lookout camp. "Max and Henry are already there," she explained as she settled herself down on the ground. "Try not to get any of us killed."

"Sleep well," he called over his shoulder. More out of politeness then actually meaning it. He knew she didn't mean to be grumpy, the best of them became sharp tongued after next to no sleep. He gained no response other then a grunt.

He only chuckled at the woman, and allowed the shift to take over his form. His bones ached from the adventures of the day before, however, he pushed on. He paused, looking back at his sleeping place mournfully, before limping away.

Ascending the hill hard with only three legs, but he managed to get the top and was greated by the other two. Kit had lost his left arm in the explosion which had ruined the country. He tried not to notice, some people had come out of it a lot worse.

"Finally decided to grace us with your presence then, Kit?" called the playful voice of Henry, the bear's eyes lit with amusement.

The wolf settled himself down by the fire, where he had a decent view of the ground below but he could remain as warm as possible. "Funny as always, Henry." Kit grunted in return, resting his head down on his paw. Looking around for the other man. "You suck at this watching business, you've lost Max."

Ducking back when the bear swatted a heavy paw at his head. Henry grumbled to himself, seeming equally tired. "Max needed to stretch his wings, he's flown north a few hundred metres. He should be back soon."

"Was that the best idea? Considering...?"

"Max is young, but he's not stupid. He'll be fine," the bear didn't allow Kit to finish. His tone didn't exactly fill Kit with enthusiasm. He twitched an ear at the older man, pausing. However, he didn't question the man's words and simply settled down for what was going to be a long watch.

Uncertain, Kit twitched an ear at the bear. Looking over the marred form of the larger animal, covered from head to toe in scars from hundreds of battles. He knew that his own body was in a familiar state.

It was clear that Henry wasn't intending to continue with the conversation, so with a shrug of his shoulders he returned his gaze to his watch point. Staring down at the silent world below them, his eyes narrowed and alert for any signs of danger.

Kit twitched his ears backwards at the sound of nearby footsteps. He turned to look in the direction of the approaching person. He tensed to stand up, in case the face he saw was not a friendly one. He paused, straining his eyes through the darkness. Trying to figure out to who the face belonged.

"Marl, what are you doing here?" he grumbled, twitching his ears as he shifted from side to side. Straightening up so he could see properly. Balancing awkwardly at first but soon regaining his balance.

A pair of ginger ears attached to a long body appeard after a couple of seconds. He watched her for a moment as she approached.

"Couldn't sleep," she replied. Her long tail batting from side to side. The lithe puma looked bored out of her mind. "Where's Max?"

Of course she has an ulterior motive, Kit thought with a slight amusement. He shrugged his shoulders with a sigh. "Henry says he flew north," Kit replied. His own worry growing as there was still no sight of the younger man, "but he's still not back."

"Good to know you finally lost it, Henry," grunted Marlene. Her eyes narrowing until they were almost slits. "Was it really the best idea to let him go alone?" Her tone wasn't necessarily angry, but there was an element of frustration to it.

The bear let out a growl, but before he was able to give a sharp retort, Kit interrupted the two. "It's fine, Marlene you stay here while I'll go look for him, he should really be back by now. I'll make sure he's ok."

"Do you want someone to go with you?" Henry asked with a yawn, he moved to stand up but Kit shook his head.

"I can move quicker on my own, and I shouldnt be long. With any luck, he'll have just spotted dinner and gone for a quick snack. I'll be as quick as I can, stay safe."

Pulling himself to his paws, he basked in the warmth of the fire for a short moment longer. Then leapt over the small wall which encircled the lookout camp and spoke a final time. "For the love of God don't tell Daniel I've gone. He'll have all of our pelts to line his nest tonight if he finds out."

Marlene let out a soft chuckle at this, "We wont. Just make sure you get back safe," she promised.

Carefully making his way down the hillside, his footing struggling to keep up with the crumbling earth and mud. When he came within a couple of metres of the bottom of the hill, he leapt and landed.

Now that he was outside of the safety of his friends, a small part of him regretted not agreeing to their offer of help. However, he wasn't about to go back now. His scent was outside of the confines of camp, if he left now. Monsters would be here by the time he returned, and he wasn't about to put his friends into more danger then necessary.

Lifting his head to the wind, he searched for the scent of any of Max. It took a time to search, beneath the vibrant scents of the earth and the animals around him, as well as the familiar smell of destruction, always underlying the air.

There. He found it, and took off running in the direction of the scent. He knew that if he wanted to see his friend alive, he was going to need to be quick.

With as much speed as his three legs could muster, he tore across the terrain. Going as silently yet as fast as he could make himself go.

As he gained distance from the lookout camp, to where it was only just in his line of sight, was when Kit caught scent of a much more worrying smell. He slowed to a walk, his tail going between his legs as he lowered himself to a crouch. Scared that he would find out that his concerns would be true.

Blood.

Kit was about to turn away to find help, when a scream rattled across the plain and he froze in place.

Then once again he took off running in the direction of the agonised cry. Pushing himself to the limits, as he dodged through the undergrowth until he skidded to a stop. The sight before him making his heart leap into his chest.

Max, in the form of his eagle was falling from mid air. His talons outstretched, a scree echoing from his lungs as he dove for his assailants eyes.

It was the opponent which had Kit sole attention. It was a monster bigger then anything he could ever remember seeing. Even the sight of it sent a shiver of terror down his spine.

It towered at six metres tall, and it it's eyes were filled with hatred. It stood on four legs, like a monstrous wolf made of pure smoke. It dodged left and right. It appeared that Max had only managed to survive this long from luck alone.

Kit didn't hesitate as he lunged.