::Chapter 18:: Challenge

Every set of eyes was on him.

He liked to think that he had gotten rid of his paranoia, but it didn't feel like they were looking anywhere but him. They were judging him.

Looking only at his destination, he didn't turn to look at any of them. Forcing himself not to look as scared as he felt, he carried himself as high as he could. Holding his head to the sky and his tail tall. He fluffed up his fur, trying to make himself look twice his size. He could feel his heart racing in his chest, yet he felt like he made himself somewhat presentable.

Reaching where the leader had come to a stop, he turned around and for the first time looked at the men and women before them. Finding that his original assumption had been incorrect, they weren't all wolves, but the most prominent of them were

Dotted around were other strange, beast like-creatures, and then something that appeared to come from the nightmares of a child. They all watched Kit and his friends, but they seemed as scared as the survivors as Kit did of them.

Several winged creatures, maybe fairies, pixies, angels? Kit thought nervously as he watched. At least four half human half horse creatures stood around the clearing. Even a number of things that he wouldn't have even begun to describe as nearly human.

Their stares bored into Kit, making him want to back away nervously. He forced himself to stay still, not blinking as he drew his gaze across the strangers. Making a point of glaring at them as much as he felt that he was being stared at in turn.

They were judging him, staring at his arm, or rather lack thereof. He shifted uncomfortably, trying to not look as uncomfortable as he felt. He shifted a little, baring his teeth with a low growl.

Almost immediately he would regret that decision.

A blur of fur lunged at him, and in the half a second after he reacted to what had happened, Kit was pinned on his back. A huge beast on top of him, snarling with bared teeth. Kit froze for a short second, then realised what had happened and lunged upwards.

He went to tear his fangs into the neck of the stranger, but dodged at the last moment when the stranger pulled back to avoid the surprising strength of the handicapped man. Kit took his opportunity and leapt from his grip.

Snapping back, he lunged with a speed that Kit couldn't totally pinpoint as he leapt onto the back of the man and brought him down, hard. The adrenaline pumping through his veins at top speed, the anger ricocheting through his every inch.

Pulling back just before he drove his fangs into the neck of the stranger, panting from the suddenness of everything that had happened, but he didn't let it show how surprised by what had occurred.

"Try something like that again, and I promise you it will be the last time you see the daylight." He promised, darker then he had intended but he was angry. This stranger posed a threat to those he cared about and he wasn't going to stand and let that happen.

From the surprise on the face of the stranger, he was just as astonished. Apparently the wolf had expected it to be an easy fight, and the fact that the three legged wolf was able to protect himself had seemed impossible.

Apart of Kit was a little smug about the fact that he had been able to firmly prove otherwise. He pinned his ears at the man.

"Come back, Jackson. There is no need to be quite so dramatic," warned one of the other wolves and Kit watched the man with curiosity. His tail bolt upright with a growl.

Jackson, apparently, was very annoyed at the fact that he had to leave, but he listened to the order he had been given and returned to the ranks of the other wolves. Only when the stranger had sat down, did Kit allow his gaze to travel away.

The slight metallic smell told him that he was bleeding, but he pretended not to notice. He didn't want to give any indication of a weakness. He twitched his ears back and forth, angry that he had been here less then five minutes only to be attacked by someone who was apparently one of his own kind.

"Now that's over and done with," the leader was speaking again, his eyes narrowed and his temper showing. "I believe you had some questions."

Questions, it amused Kit that they believed that it was they who had the right to question. Sure, he had seen a hell of a lot in the last five years in isolation, but the fact that there were others like them outside of that little world seemed impossible.

What world had been hiding in the shadows whilst Kit had still considered himself to be a human.

"How did you become what you are?" called a voice, Kit turned to look at the source of it, twitching his ears back and forth with a gentle snort.

"A meltdown happened, we woke up with an animal in our heads." Vic said without an ounce of sugar coating to his words. The bear sounded almost bored as he spoke.

It wasn't as though what had been said was a lie.

Shocked words echoed from place to place around them, Kit didn't follow the noise this time. He only had eyes for the wolf asking the questions.

Kit shifted, restless. He could feel every pair of eyes boring into his skin, as he balanced uncomfortably. He didn't breathe, it felt like these people would judge him even for doing this. The way they were watching him, as though none of his friends had a right to be standing there, alive.

When the truth was more close to the fact that he and his friends were the only ones who had truly earned the right to still be standing.

Of course he didn't this out loud, if he had, Kit had the growing feeling that a lot more than one measly wolf would be coming after him for daring to say as much. So he allowed the thoughts to linger in the back of his head, trying not to feel as frustrated as he did.

"From what we have been told, you have been gone for at least five years," he continued. Firmly, but not what Kit would have called aggressive. "What have you been occupying yourself with during that time."

He snorted at the use of the word occupying, as though what they had been doing for half a decade was merely a weekend job. Something simple, something easy.

Something was making Kit want to kill anyone who would be brave enough to say such aloud.

Max spoke up before anyone could say something cruel, that could get them into further trouble then they had already landed themselves in. "Protecting your rotten arses from being destroyed piece by piece by the monsters we were keeping trapped on the island."

Nobody was perfect.

"You cant be very good at that, considering the number of monsters now in the outside world." The words of the stranger were full of contempt and annoyance.

"If not for us, you probably wouldn't be alive," retorted Vic.

Tilting his head to the side with an growl, "We've been managing well enough in the damage you and your friends have created."

Kit took a step forward, "Awesome. We've been doing it for five years, we could use a holiday. We'll go, find somewhere sunny to live out the end of the world if you are so certain that you are capable of dealing with this yourselves."

"Even though we've managed for half a decade, and from the looks of it you've been losing every battle hand over fist." Added Max lowly.

"There is no need to resort to quite so desperate measures," insisted the wolf. Frustrated but clearly trying to keep his cool. "We need your help."

The man was a better man then Kit at this rate, able to admit when he needed help.

"Please tell me that you at least have a plan."