::Chapter 23:: Vulnerable

Were he able to stay in that moment forever, he would have given everything he had. Yet, the outside world was calling them.

Part of him ached, when she stepped back. He watched her, careful and slightly bewildered. He hadn't felt this vulnerable in a long time, but that didn't mean he disliked it. His heart continued to hammer in his chest, his breath quickening.

Her dark gaze settled on Kit, she seemed to think for a moment. Her cheeks a little flushed from the encounter but the smile on her face was obvious. "If you feel capable of it, there is to be a meeting in about two hours. Let one of the nurses know if you want to go, they will help you get there." She explained.

For a second, Kit didn't respond. Thinking. He let out a heavy sigh, the thought of moving alone was enough to exhaust him. Yet from the way she spoke, the fear to her tone, was enough to tell him she was scared about what was to come.

"I'll be there." He promised, despite the growing wish that he could simply fall asleep and never wake up. Already his eyes were beginning to droop, as though weighted down with lead as he struggled to stay awake.

"Good luck," Romany said with an attempt at a chuckle, only to wince when she tried to do so as she lifted herself to her feet and made to leave. "Try not to get yourself killed whilst I'm gone?"

A short laugh came from Kit, causing a jolt of pain to go through his own system and making him wince. Payback. "I don't think I'll be moving much, there's no need to worry about me," he said weakly.

Romany had learned the hard way not to laugh, and all she replied with was. "I'm pretty sure even you could find a way."

She didn't give Kit the chance to reply, and was gone through the door before he could as much as take a breath or think. He watched her go, silent. His heart continuing to hammer away in his chest, accelerated from the mere idea of what had happened.

A small glow seemed to fill him, surprised from what had happened.

Kit was about to do as he had been told, when the door clicked open a second time. He opened an eye, expecting to see a nurse, or perhaps even the return of Romany. Yet he was faced with a stranger's face.

It took a moment for him to realise who it was, then it clicked. Why fury lit him when he saw the man's face. The last time he had seen this man, he had possessed four legs rather than the two he now stood on.

For this was the man who had attacked him within his first ten minutes of being on the mainland again.

Shifting a little, tense. He turned his gaze to land solidly on the other wolf. Following him around the room carefully. More aggressively then he had probably intended, but the annoyance was on the surface of his skin. For he now felt like he had something more to protect.

"Good morning," the man greeted. Kit didn't even know the strangers name.

"My apologies that we got off on the wrong foot."He doesn't sound sorry.

Watching the stranger from the corner of his eye, on edge. Ready to spring. He didn't fully understand why his anger burned so deep, but he had enough common sense left to be on edge around another wolf. Kit only shrugged, he didn't give it a verbal answer.

"Now it appears that you may be one of our more powerful allies in this fight, it was not my intention to insult you."

Once again, all Kit did was shrug. Though this time he added a short nod into the mix.

"Please, do forgive me. For I believe that I have a proposition which could prove to be of interest to you."

"Why is it not your alpha speaking to me?" Kit spoke for the first time, still not acknowledging anything else which had been said.