::Chapter 25:: Storm

"By now, I'm sure that most of you get that this is going to be incredibly dangerous."

That had to be the understatement of the century. Pessimism lit Kit's mind like a star against the pitch black sky. His eyes narrowed until they were almost catlike, he shifted from one foot to the other, uncomfortable.

"For this reason," Reggie continued where Matthew left off. His voice steady, firm. "We are going to force none of you to come with us."

It would be suicide.

A knot rose to the back of Kit's throat at this point. He choked on it a little. He could understand the sentiment behind the words, for they might as well throw their morals out the window and join the monsters if they didn't give the people a choice.

Yet it could mean hell for those stupid enough to follow them into battle.

Either way, it would be a lose-lose situation, one which Kit could see no happy ending in sight for.

Drawing his eyes across the others, he tried to judge their responses to this news. He found their expressions infuriatingly unreadable. Were it because they were schooled in remaining calm, or his own mind was too frantic to think properly, he didn't know.

Kit didn't need to look at the other island survivors, he knew that they wouldn't hesitate before volunteering. This had been the reality of their lives for half a decade, and they weren't about to stop now that the stakes were raised.

For this was a hell they had been living for many years, and they would face death to relieve the world of its threat.

They would face death a thousand times over to be able to relieve themselves of it.

He had every ounce of trust a man could have for another person in his friends, his family.

It was his faith in the rest of the men and women which was beginning to waiver, as he watched them. A fair few of them looking as though they were more than willing to leap for the nearest exit as soon as they had the chance.

Whereas he would have laid down his life to stop these monsters, he wasn't entirely sure the rest of them would.

They needed an army, and this wasn't one.

It was a mob at best.

"But bare in mind," Matthew's words jolted Kit out of his little fantasy world. He twitched an ear back and looked towards the leader in silence.

Not a word echoed from any of them.

"Your world may not be around very much longer for you to seek safety in it, if you don't come with us, help us."

Death would be knocking at their doors either way.

It came down to if the others wanted to meet their fate with a sword or on their knees begging for mercy.

Kit would make the same choice every time, in a million lifetimes. To him, it was no choice.

For a short while no one spoke, Matthew and Reggie watched from their stance on higher ground. They didn't speak either, allowing their followers to let this news settle in their mind. To make a decision.

"Those of you who wish to come with us on this mission," Reggie spoke at last. He seemed to be trying his best to keep his tone calm. Yet it was the quiver to his finger tips, and the way his eyes danced from left to right, watching the men and women before him that gave him away. "Position yourselves on the right of the clearing." He said gesturing with a hand to a place by the stream.

Even the centaur, who Kit had come to know as a rock. Someone who foregoed their own emotion to help the rest of his family to stay calm was beginning to lose his cool. What hope do the rest of us have?

"And those of you who wish to stay," Matthew added. "On the left."

Kit didnt stop to think as he lifted himself to his paws and made his way over to the stream. He didnt look up or listen for following stops. He came to a stop and turned to stare back at the men and women before him. Waiting. Defiant.

When no one moved, Kit panicked for a short second. Wondering if he had been wrong when he assumed that at least some people would share the same morals as he. His heart leapt to his throat.

Then all at once, everyone seemed to move in a single simultaenous movement.

It was impossible to count the heads, there were too many of them, too many directions being taken.

He hadnt been incorrect, all of the survivors were beside him within minutes. His heart settled a little in his chest, but it still hammered hard as he waited. It seemed to take an eternity, before the outcome was apparent.

Victory was theirs, though only by a slim figure. They had more heads than the opposing side.

As much as Kit wanted to hold it against them, he couldn't. He more than most understood what was at stake, and he would hate to see more suffer.

He only hoped that they would be able to save the world before the ones who chose to stay behind died in it.

Romany ran her gentle fingers through the fur along his spine, he twitched an ear back but otherwise paid her no regard. His eyes were for the leaders only at this point in time, a bomb could have gone off and Kit probably wouldn't have noticed.

"By no means are your decisions final," Matthew added with a slightly calmer voice. Though the quiver was still there, it wasn't as prominent as it had been. "If you change your mind and decide you wish to stay, I will not make you live up to your promise."

"And of course if you change your mind and want to come with, we will welcome you into our ranks with open arms." Reggie added firmly.

No one spoke, they simply waited.

When no one spoke, Matthew spoke up again. "We have no time to rest, you have an hour to say your farewells."

Kit nodded to himself, as chaos once again took up the clearing. As people followed orders and began to say goodbyes.

As much as he hated to admit it, the overwhelming feeling of a final farewell had settled on the clearing. Will this be the last time the people who stay will see us?

He shook himself, trying to keep such thoughts out of his head. Hating himself for even allow them to creep into his brain.

The weeks ahead would be full of uncertainty, and they days previous had been full of pain and fear.

It was the calm before the storm, and it would be a long time before they found out if they would live to see the end of it.