twenty-one

and I see fire, inside the mountain. I see fire, burning the trees. I see fire, hollowing souls. I see fire, blood in the breeze. ❞ -Ed Sheeran (I see fire, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug soundtrack)

 In my dreams – twenty-one

That night, when Harry’s back home (with a new pair of boots - Ashton can be very insistent if he wants to) the first thing he does is throw out his old boots and crawl behind his laptop to write. He sort of hates himself for being so helpless when Louis is gone but in his defence, he does love Louis a lot. He gets himself a bottle of water and some leftover pizza while his laptop is starting up.

He can’t keep writing about Louis forever, can he? If he does, he’ll be constantly in fear that his laptop will crash, or delete Louis’ file or something else. And, if the whole magic thing is true, there is no way it will last their entire lives. Right? Magic is fantastic to a certain extent but they can’t possibly have so much luck that he can keep Louis with him.

Harry believes it was magic that brought Louis to life, or possibly fate or destiny. But he’s also sure his share of magic will be running out soon. That’s just how life is. He’s so deep in thought about life and magic it takes him ten minutes to actually get to writing. “Where was I?” he mumbles to himself when he opens Louis’ file. “Ah yes”, he mutters as he sees he stopped after typing how he asked Louis to marry him.

He writes about the day after the engagement and how he calls Ashton first thing in the morning to tell him everything worked out just fine (and naturally, Ashton says he knew that all along, of course Louis would marry him, ‘ya lovesick fools’). When he has to grab a new bottle of water, he glances at the clock and notices it’s around half twelve already. Time to go to bed.

He saves Louis’ file, switches off his laptop and brushes his teeth. The days seem to last longer when Louis isn’t here with him or when he’s not writing. It’s easier to pass time while writing and when Louis is with him, it isn’t just ‘passing time’. With Louis, he feels like he’s finally living, like he’s finally woken up from a long, deep sleep. Sounds cliché, Harry knows that but it’s true. When he thinks back to how it was before Louis came into his life, he can’t even remember it. He knows he mostly wrote (he’s got lots of files as evidence) but what else did he do? Was his life really that dull? Apparently so, if he can’t even remember what he did before Louis came into his life.

And with those thoughts, he goes to sleep.

When Harry wakes up the next morning, there’s a warm body on his chest and a soft breathing in his ear and his heart jumps a little when he realises Louis is back. He wraps his arms tightly around his boyfriend and goes back to sleep peacefully. Or, at least he tries. But there’s an idea forming in the back of his head and once that happens, he knows he won’t be able to go back to sleep. So instead of sleeping, he cuddles into his boyfriend more closely and starts working out his idea in his mind. He doesn’t dare get up and make some appointments, scared to wake Louis who looks like he can use a good night’s sleep.

It’s around eleven in the morning when Louis moves around a little and yawns. “Morning babe”, he mumbles with a deep, sleepy voice.

“Hey”, Harry mumbles back. “I missed you.”

“How long was I gone?”

“’Bout a day, maybe two. I don’t know. It was too long, though.”

“Sorry”, Louis whispers and he opens one eye slowly. “I missed you too. What time is it?”

“Eleven”, Harry answers, burying his face in Louis’ hair and breathing in deeply.