seventeen

where are you? and I'm so sorry, I cannot sleep, I cannot dream tonight. I need somebody and always. this sick, strange darkness comes creeping on so haunting every time -5 seconds of summer (cover of I miss you - original by Blink182)

 In my dreams – seventeen

The first thing Harry thinks when he wakes up is Louis’ wish didn’t come true. There’s no warm body curled up against his, no arm around his waist, no snoring in his ear and no barking outside the door. Louis is gone again. But he doesn’t break down this time. He promised Louis he wouldn’t.

So he shoots Ashton a text message to inform him and takes a long, hot shower. He lets his sadness wash down the drain with the water and thinks of ways to get Louis back. Drawing didn’t help. Crying didn’t help. Yelling insults at him didn’t help. But what did? How did he get Louis back last time? He doesn’t remember.

When he gets out of the shower, he’s got a text back from Ashton. Do you want me & Luke & Niall to come over?

That would be nice, Harry sends back and he enters the living room, plugging his phone into the docking station and playing Louis’ favourite music. Did he do that last time? He doesn’t know. But it’s worth trying. He fishes his cooking book off the bookshelf and looks up a recipe he still needs to try out – something with burritos and guacamole. He hasn’t cooked anything since last Monday and he got his groceries last Saturday so if he’s correct, he should have everything he needs in the fridge.

Harry is making the guacamole sauce when he thinks of something. What if I just deleted Louis’ file and started on a new character? Right after that thought, he drops everything he’s holding and goes to lie face-first on the carpet in the living room. “Awful thought”, he mumbles to himself. “Awful, awful, awful. You’re a terrible person, Harry Styles.”

“Any particular reason you’re face planting the carpet and calling yourself awful?” Ashton’s voice asks somewhere above him.

Harry doesn’t even jump at the sound of his best friend’s voice. “I just thought that it might be better if I just deleted Louis’ file”, he moans. “I’m a terrible human being.”

Ashton crouches next to him and pats his back. “You’re not an awful person for thinking that, Haz. Come on, get up and off the floor and continue your cooking magic. We brought Lilly to vacuum your apartment.”

“You did not”, Lilly says and she smacks Ashton upside the head. “You told me it would be nice to come and keep Harry company. Where is Louis, anyway?”

“Niall!” Ashton yells. “Do not tell me she doesn’t know!”

“Doesn’t know what?” Lilly eyes Niall with a great level of suspicion in her green eyes.

“Ehm, I might have forgotten to tell you something”, Niall mumbles.

“Well, you better tell me right now.” She sounds a little angry. Niall takes her arm and leads her into the hallway.

“Where’s Luke?” Harry asks Ashton, brushing off his jeans and returning to his guacamole. Ashton doesn’t respond, instead looking down at the floor. “What happened?”

“We fought”, he answers quietly.

Harry wraps him up in a hug. “D’you wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.”

“It’s gonna be fine, you know. He loves you.”

“I’m not so sure”, Ashton says sadly, resting his head on Harry’s shoulder. “Sorry for dumping this on you. You’re having it difficult enough as it is, now Louis’s gone again.”