EIGHTEEN

THE FLASHES OF LIGHT MADE Mar temporarily blind. She stared ahead at the different camera lenses, the smile on her lips wavering as seconds passed. The last couple of days had been fun, to say the least. Spending time with Phoebe was always nice. The two of them would talk and laugh for hours.

And do very little else but that. Which, Mar wouldn't complain about. She liked being friends with Phoebe, and Phoebe used to have a boyfriend. However, now that Phoebe was single, Mar was unsure of what she felt. No, no, that wasn't true. Mar definitely liked her, which lead her to grow more confused the last couple of days.

Phoebe held her hand as the cameras went off. For extra measure, Phoebe kissed Mar on the cheek. Mar put on a show, laughing for the cameras. In reality, her stomach was making flops and she wanted to throw up. The knots in her stomach only grew as the night went on. They watched the film, and Phoebe would lean over and whisper a question in her ear. Mar would answer her question and freeze on her seat, aware of how it had felt to have Phoebe's breath on her skin.

By the time the after party came, Mar hid away in the restroom and sat on the toilet. She grabbed her phone and thought of texting her sister. She shook the thought away, the least she wanted was for her sister to laugh at the other end of the line. Instead, Mar texted Kim.

I AM SO DONE

THIS IS TOO MUCH

Jomo's lover:
AWW
YOU ARE SO CUTE

GAH

I HATE FEELING LIKE THIS

Jomo's lover:
SEXUALLY FRUSTRATED?

THAT'S NOT WHAT IT IS, KIM

Jomo's lover:
Yes it is
You just want to get her somewhere quiet and do things to her BUT YOU CANNOT

For a single girl, you relate to this a little too much

Jomo's lover:
It's because I'm a single girl that I relate to this too much
I KNOW THE STRUGGLE

I can't hide in the restroom forever

Jomo's lover:
Go rub shoulders with someone else
MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND THEN INTRODUCE THEM TO ME SO I CAN DATE THEM!!! KIM'S SINGLE PROBLEM IS SOLVED

I'll try

Mar tried following Kim's advice. She tried rubbing shoulders with some of the movie stars at the after party. The truth was, she felt way too nervous and too much like a mess to talk properly to them. Instead, Mar blended into the walls and let out a sigh. Phoebe was among a group of people laughing along to someone had said.

"Hello," a voice said. Mar turned towards the voice. Tom Hiddleston. She'd kept an eye out for him the whole night. But being the star of the movie, he'd been talking to someone the whole time. "Mind if I sit?"

"No, go head," Mar said.

"Are you okay?" Tom asked.

"Yes, I'm fine," she nodded her head. I'm fine, was such an automatic reply Mar didn't stop to check to see how true it was. Tom sipped his drink, nodding his head. Tom felt like someone appropriate to spill her life story to. "Well...how honest do you want me to be?"

"As honest as you are comfortable with," he replied.

"I think I'm in love with my best friend," Mar said.

She went on to tell him the story, of their friendship and the last few weeks. She told them about how confusing the last couple of days had been. Then as always, Mar went on to talk about her friends. She told him about Minttu and the charity she ran. She told him about Kim, how she was working on a the next great novel in New York.

Tom listened to Mar, stopping to ask a few questions on the way. He asked more about the charity Minttu had. When they parted, Mar had given Tom Minttu's information. She checked the time on her phone, getting up from the couch she'd been sitting on. All through out her conversation with Tom, people kept coming to speak to him. He'd engage in conversation but ultimately turn his attention back to her.

Now that he was gone, Mar felt over the night.  She didn't want to be there anymore. She also didn't feel like finding Phoebe and getting a cab together. So, Mar didn't, she wandered out of the venue and wished Winston, her driver were here. He only drove her when she was in France, however.

"Hey!" Phoebe said. Mar turned around. She'd had her phone out. She was about to walk to a restaurant, eat and then order an uber back come. "Are you leaving?"

"Yeah."

"Your flight is tomorrow night, right?"

"Yeah."

"Do you want to have breakfast before you go tomorrow morning?" She asked. Mar thought about it. She thought about spending more time with Phoebe. Then, she thought about how frustrated she'd been feeling lately and she didn't want to feel like that any longer.

"It's alright, I've got other plans," Mar lied. Phoebe nodded along. She interloped their arms and began to walk. Mar didn't have any other option but to start movie.

"I know this great taco place," she said. The two girls walked towards the taco place. When they got there, Mar ordered three tacos while Phoebe ordered two. The two of them ordered margaritas and slipped in a booth, Phoebe putting an arm around Mar.

Mar let out a loud sigh. Tomorrow, she'd be in New York. She wouldn't wonder anymore about what Phoebe felt, or what every action Phoebe took meant. She was grateful for some distance. She was grateful for New York.