Chapter 3- Talking to Mr. Abercrombie and Fitch

It’s Thursday. Which means that it’s my turn to go grocery shopping…again.

The worst part about having three older brothers is that no matter how much food you buy they manage to clean out the house in two days at least.

My elder sister, mother and I take turns doing the grocery shopping because my lazy-ass brothers decided long ago that though they eat the food they ‘don’t have the time’ to buy it.

Luckily for me, my eldest sister Cassie decides to come with me.

Unluckily, she is going on about some guy who asked her out for Valentines Day (again the mention of what I might add is a fake holiday) but I decide to tune her out.

I start thinking about our huge family.

Lets start with my paternal grandparents. They are loaded which is good for my siblings and me because our 16th birthday present is always a car. I got the beautiful mustard Mustang I had been dreaming about forever.

My maternal side lives abroad so I hardly ever see them but we do Skype on all big occasions.

Then there’s my dad. He owns a newspaper agency and often gets to go on really cool trips overseas and he is always bringing back the most amazing presents. My mom owns a string of highly successful medi-clinics and makes the best homemade Thai calamari salad.  And let’s just say that my parents are the heart of every ‘getting busy’ joke at the school due to the fact that I have 5 siblings.

Yep, there are 6 of us.

First is Cassie. She is 22 years old and studying law at Harvard (I did mention all my siblings are highly intelligent didn’t I). Cassie is the exact opposite of me in every way. She is loud, athletic, out-going and a complete girly-girl.

Second came Dan. He’s 20 now and is studying Biochemical Engineering at Harvard. In many ways he is the most like me as we both loved Biology and are both quiet but, even he, has that famous athletic streak that came from my paternal grand-mother.  He is also a huge prankster and will get anyone anywhere.

Then third came Pete. He is 18 and a senior at the same high school as me. In many ways the fact that my elder brother is captain of the football and soccer team, an honours student as well as being the schools fastest runner, head boy and the crush of every girl might be the only reason that I am not bullied at that hell hole called Fenton High.

I have some BIIGGG shoes to fill.

I am the 4th child. Quiet and reserved like all the stereotypes dictate. I am intelligent like my brothers and wish to study medicine at Oxford, London. I have no athletic ability and am often chastised by my parents for not even trying to get into shape any more.

Then come the babies.

In fifth place comes William (Will for short). Bright, full of energy, a terrific athlete but his greatest trait by far is his eye for mischief. He could prank you right under your nose. A quality he shares with Dan. And with his sharpened wit he can make people feel very small indeed. His humour makes up for it though, as he’ll have you laughing again in 2 second flat. He is fourteen and currently a freshman at Fenton High as well.

Then comes the baby. 

Emma is only twelve and the only one of us in Middle School. She is very sheltered as we all take care of her (yes we are protective of the tint tot). She is a clever little thing but her head is always in the clouds. She’s such a scatter brain that child.

We were all so proud when her Baseball Team made it to the state finals. Go my tall little sis.

I finally realize that Cassie and I have arrived at the super market. I get the parking ticket and park quickly. Enjoying the appreciative nods my car gets.