Chapter 26- Sucker Punched

Dedicated to msrudeypants purely because her comments are the funniest...lmao 

Chapter 26

Sucker Punched

“RILEY HARPER!!” I hear my name being yelled and then a door slams.

I look up at the watch in the kitchen. It’s four in the afternoon meaning that the boys are home from football practice.

“Sounds like Pete’s mad with you,” Cassie says with a smirk.

I was no secret that when it came to the famous Harper temper, well to put it mildly, Pete was whacked hard with that stick. The thing is that he usually doesn’t get angry with me. It was hard work becoming his favourite.

I’m snapped out of my dream world by Dylan and Cassie making these weird cooing noises and they stare deeply into each others eyes whilst giggled like school girls…. it’s sickening. They have been dating for one week.

Next thing I hear the sound of Pete’s heavy footsteps against the wooden floorboards of the stairs. Shit.

Pete stands in the doorway looking red faced and stern. His jaw line is all tensed up and his eyes have that hellish fury glinting behind them.

“Hey Petie. How was your day? Want a sammich?”

I say this with as sweet a tone as I can muster. I even use the full on sheepish smile and puppy dog eyes.

“Any idea why my team is getting into fist fights over you?” Pete asks me with this steely voice that is practically dancing on the edge of shouting. Damn…even tempting the beast with food didn’t work.

“Which members. I seem to have a lot of grudges with all of them.” I admit reluctantly.

“Well. I was running to receive a pass as was scheduled in my play when suddenly I look behind me and Ryan is tackling Seth. The idiot actually ripped off Seth’s helmet and punched him. Matt goes to pull of Ryan and I get Seth. Then Ryan says something to Matt and the next thing both Matt and Ryan are going at Seth. Meanwhile Seth is just sitting there taking it. When I asked for explanation later in the locker room all I got was a mumble that I should ask you as you should be the one to tell me. So here I am. Asking you. Now answer,”

Pete looks exasperated and downright annoyed.

“Ummm. I might have an answer as to why Matt punched Seth. However Ryan’s reason is a mystery to me,” I say truthfully.

Matt is like a brother to me so he probably punched Seth because of the whole cheating debacle.

“Well…” Cassie interjects curiously. She needs to learn to keep her nose in her own damned business.

“Seth cheated on me…with Selena,” I say calmly. I have nothing or hide as I did nothing wrong.