Bob the Builder

"I'm sorry! I didn't know! I just panicked I guess..." I remarked at the surprisingly friendly nurse who had come to my dad's 'rescue' when I cried wolf.

"It's okay hun. You did the right thing and if I were your dad I would be very proud of my daughter right now for knowing what to do in a situation like this!" The nurse who's name I learned was Madison replied in a tone that was real and almost motherly.

I liked her.

My dad hadn't actually been chocking; only coughing on some saliva that was caught in his throat. All the nurse had to do was stick a small tube down his throat which suction out the saliva with a strange slurping noise.

"Okay I will leave you with him. Oh, and do know that even if you don't know if anything is wrong, you are very welcome to let any of the nurses or doctors know and we will be sure to help you.vi know how stressful this can be."

"Thank you. I really appreciate that!" I replied to nurse who flashed a small knowing grin and stepped out of the room.

Everything was back to being silent and I was a little uncomfortable with the situation I was in. I don't know why exactly, but i did. I picked up my ear buds and walked over to my dad's bed. I leaned down and planted a small kiss of his fore head. I looked down at his pale hands laying limp at his side. I grappled one in between my two hands. I knew he probably couldn't feel anything, but I honestly believed he could sense my touch. I cupped my small and frail hands around his big one. His hands I noticed were very cold. A tear fell down my cheek and fell to the floor leaving a wet streak on my face. It was so silent in the room that you could hear the drop of salty tear hit the cold, hard linoleum.

"I l-love you daddy." I stuttered out the small phrase that I knew I should have said more trying not to cry any harder than I already was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the entire dilemma of thinking my father was chocking to almost falling because of the stupid door, I am physical and mentally exhausted. I decided to listen to some music as I sat down on one of the hard chairs in the waiting room. I chose 'Lego House' by Ed Sheeran because for some unknown reason I felt that it totally described my situation. It doesn't, at all though. I traced the small fracture on the screen of my phone from the fall earlier with the pad of my thumb and thought about well, life. I remembered my mum waking me up every morning by saying in a sing-song voice 'Good morning. Good morning! It's time to face the day. My dear baby Abigail!' I would always hop straight out of bed and race down the stairs, my pigtails bobbing up and down with each small bound I took and clutched in my small hand was my utmost favorite ballerina bear. I would always spot the glimmer of plastic from the corner of my eye on the oversized Legos that were now built into a small tower that was always different every morning. In. One swift movement I would leap onto the tower and break every piece apart screaming "NOT TODAY BOB THE BUILDER!!!" I don't know why I would say that but I have been told that every time Bob the Builder came onto the Telly I would throw a fit until someone changed the channel. I was a Handy Mandy girl I guess.

Every member of my family played a small but important part in the well orchestrated performance that is our morning routine. My mother, you see, is the opening act. Waking me up, the main character. I would then go to the mechanic of the project, my dad, and destroy the carefully laid out props to add in the climax of the story with my shouting. My dad would chuckle in response, his way of saying, that went perfectly. Also, while all of the focus was on me and my dad's handy work, my mother was in the kitchen preparing the finale. Breakfast! We would all then join together for the curtain call that is drenching every square inch of our waffles in sticky syrup. This is were the imaginary audience then claps and we all take our bows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Abigail? Sweetie. You need to wake up." My mums voice sliced through the dream I was having and I literally pictured the movie screen of my mind being torn apart just to show my mums face above me.

"What?! What's going on?!" I panicked which gained me and my mum a few strange glances and a couple of head shakes in disapproval of my nosiness.

"Nothing is wrong sweetie you just fell asleep. We are going to head home. Obviously you could use some rest and the doctor I spoke to said he would call us if anything changed."

"Okay..." I whispered as I stood up collecting my things and heading out the door and towards the bright purple elevator doors across the hall.

My mum reached over and pushed the button labeled LB for lobby and we headed down with the first small jerk of the elevator box. I was starting to really wonder if I was being told everything that was going on. I know I am considered a kid, but I am really sixteen. I guess to my mum and family I will always be treated like this in situations like these. They think they are helping me by keeping secrets and shielding me from what is really going on, but they are defiantly not. I believe that the suspense and stress of just wondering what is actually happening in the real world adds even more pressure to the person than the stress that they would receive from only and simply knowing the truth.

I hadn't realized we were already outside until I felt the cold wall of air hit my face with a smack and cause my to close my eyes and shield my face with my only thinly covered arm. God do I hate the cold. I cautiously stood back away from the door as it closed remembering what had happened last time. Hey what did happen to Jack anyway? Oh well. He probably had something better to do. Why do I feel sad that he left without saying goodbye... No it's nothing. I'm just, confused right now. Yeah! That's it! Right?