Kai

Chapter 42: Kai

"Blue eyes...like human eyes?" Kai asked.
Bobby shook his head in confusion. "I don't really know. I didn't get a good glimpse—blood was trickling into my eyes," he motioned to the deep scratches on his forehead.

Kai risked a glance at Layla. He was surprised by what he saw—a caring but determined look on her face. He could tell she wanted to find what had done this to such a gentle giant of a kid.

Rion said, "But Bobby, why didn't you run away? You're the fastest person I know."
Again, Bobby turned his head away from their gazes. "You try running from something that's raking your face over and over again. I could feel the thing hanging onto me—it's hot breathe was on my neck. If—if I tried to run, I would have been running blind."

Better than then getting scratched continuously thought, Kai. He should have at least tried to fight back.

Still, he felt bad for the kid. Kai realized not everyone had the same fighting instincts as he did.
"When can you leave the infirmary?" Layla asked him. "I'm going to miss you in Psychoanalysis & Anthropology class."
"Nurse Adeline says I should be good to go in a week or so," Bobby replied. Then he pointed at his swollen eye, his lips turned down in sadness. "You can't tell now, but this eye...it's gone. They couldn't save it."
Layla let out a whimper of despair for her friend. "I'm sorry Bobbi..."
The boy in the hospital bed looked up at her. "It's alright...maybe it'll give everyone else something to talk about other than my long legs." He gave them a small smile.
Kai was amazed at his attitude. Maybe he's more of a fighter than I realized...If I had lost one of my eyes... he let the thought trail off. He had no idea what he would do.

Suddenly Bobby's face lit up. "Oh!" he exclaimed. "There is one more thing, actually."
Kai waited in anticipation; hopefully this news would give them an actual clue.

But before Bobby could even open his mouth, a low and dark voice spoke from behind them.
"Children."
Kai and his friends whipped their heads around. Director Perrez gazed at them with a twisted smile, the door ajar. Nurse Adeline stood behind him, a key in her hand.

Just great, the evil-ruler has arrived.

Bobby whimpered so quietly Kai wasn't even sure he had heard him. Director Perrez, Kai noticed, for once look disheveled. His eyes were wild and his hair looked as if someone had recently taken a weed wacker to it. Even his tie was loose and crooked. Kai thought it probably wouldn't be the most appropriate time to point this out.

The man drawled on in a quiet voice. "Now, what would four, healthy, and energetic children such as yourselves be doing in the infirmary on a day like this?"

No one spoke. The air was charged with intensity. Kai was waiting for Andi to speak, as she normally was quick to think, but, looking at her from the corner of his eye, her mouth was opened in a slight 'o' of surprise.

Kai figured much didn't often sneak up on Andi.
Thankfully, Rion came to rescue. "We were just checking in on our friend, Bobby," he replied, motioning to the boy in the bed. "Sir," Rion added, as an afterthought.

Bobby had pulled the covers up to his nose.
Apparently Andi had come to her senses, because she added, "Layla wanted to let Bobby know she'd gather the homework for him too, as they have a class together."
Kai saw Layla nod her head vigorously.

Director Perrez appeared unconvinced. His lips were pressed into a thin line. "Well," he began. "Seeing as you have talked with Bobby," —the boy whimpered again as he heard his name—"I dare say it's time for you to leave."
Nurse Adeline, from behind him, said, "Indeed, the boy needs sleep! How else do you think he'll recover?"
Kai looked at Bobbi. The poor guy did have dark circles under his eyes, but then again, he thought, that could just be bruising.
"Of course, sir." Rion told him. "We'll be going. See you, Bobby."
They turned towards the door. "Get well soon," Kai told him. Layla gave Bobbi's hand one last soft squeeze.
He gave a meek nod.
Director Perrez moved aside stiffly. A shiver went up Kai's spine as he passed the man; he felt the Director's eyes linger on him. Nurse Adeline gave the children a dirty look as she shut Bobby's door, leaving Director Perrez and her inside his room.